Software Development Manager - Albany, NY
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, 10 gigawatts of solar by 2030, and 6 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. With the recent approval of the Climate Action Council’s final Scoping Plan, we have a strong framework to achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions economy-wide.
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy
NYSERDA seeks a qualified and highly motivated Software Development Manager to join our highly nimble team of Information Technology professionals dedicated to delivering high quality project deliverables through thorough and thoughtful planning as well as consultation with a wide variety of users. The Software Development Manager plays a vital role in helping to conceive, build and monitor a growing set of systems that support the programs and mission of the Authority and will be a highly visible contributor to ensuring a reputation as a customer-focused department. As a hands-on leader of the team, it is anticipated that the Software Development Manager will lead by example, coach and mentor team members and set a high standard for the entire IT organization. The successful candidate will blend a strong technical acumen with exceptional communication and negotiation skills to work with a wide array of users with varying technical skills. This position reports directly to the Chief Information Officer.
- Supervise and provide for continued development of software developers, business analysts and project managers.
- Foster and contribute to a culture of excellence grounded in people development, learning, problem solving, and teamwork.
- Collaborate on a development roadmap that balances new builds, program modifications, system enhancements, and architecture that deliver the most impact for the agreed upon budget.
- Manage multiple projects and timelines simultaneously, ensuring the successful implementation of assigned projects through the entire project lifecycle.
- Assure delivered functionality is being leveraged to the maximum extent possible.
- Assure system architecture decisions are informed by short- and long-term needs and will benefit the system holistically.
- Assure that adequate system backups are maintained, and disaster recovery (D/R) plans are in place and tested.
- Assure that capacity planning is done periodically to meet current & future business needs.
- Schedule & handle off-hours support and outages.
- Identify, mitigate, and manage risk on projects.
- Develop service level agreements and key performance indicators for the Microsoft Solutions development team.
- Ensure high levels of quality through comprehensive testing (unit, system, integration, load testing, etc.)
- Develop and foster collaborative working relationships with the Strategic Operations, business users, project managers, and team members.
- Deliver quality enhancements on time and within budget.
- Work closely with the IT leadership to develop annual budgets totaling several million dollars.
- Be proficient in budget and outcome reporting to ensure the allocated budget is used appropriately. Proactively manage variances to prevent cost overruns and effectively reallocate funds if needed.
- Understand and adhere to NYSERDA’s policies and procedures.
- Assure that support & maintenance contracts for licensed software are current.
- Mentor team members in technology, architecture, and delivery of applications.
- Create a shared sense of direction and community among the teams.
- Effectively communicate status, collaborate, and problem-solve with relevant stakeholders, including effectively escalating any project concerns with appropriate leaders.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- A strong technical knowledge of .NET and the Azure platform.
- A strong technical knowledge of Agile software development.
- A strong technical knowledge of the Atlassian suite of development tools.
- Working knowledge of web application security, understanding of vulnerabilities and countermeasures.
- A demonstrated record of success in driving improvements in service operations and successfully delivering services within complex business or government operating environments.
- A command of business analysis, requirements and specifications documentation, and process mapping to inform the development and integration of new processes and technology.
- A demonstrated record in managing multiple diverse and complex activities simultaneously, delivering on commitments, and operating with speed, accuracy, and strong judgment.
- An ability to quickly identify and drive to the best possible solution when presented with a series of opportunities and constraints.
- Strong team builder with an ability to build productive relationships across a diverse organization.
- An ability to drive to big picture goals while maintaining a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds; the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely, and unambiguously in speech and in writing.
- The ability to effectively produce materials Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, Project, and PowerPoint.
- Has in-depth analytical and technical expertise to act as subject expert in their area.
- Consistently maintains composure and professionalism.
- Ability to read specifications and execute solutions that meet those specifications.
- Understanding of relational databases and data integration tools.
- Experience with system design, configuration, customization, integration, testing, and support.
- Experience with all aspects of the system implementation including, but not limited to, gathering requirements, designing a future state solution, testing, and post implementation support.
- Experience with gap analysis and strategic roadmap/blueprint development.
- A Bachelor’s degree and seven years of IT experience.
- Prior management experience or experience leading a team of 5 or more.
- Experience with SharePoint Online
- Experience with automated testing tools
- Experience in a DevOps or Continuous Integration / Continuous Development (CICD) environment
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. Salary range is $116,686 - $147,256. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file for the Software Development Manager position, job# 777, that includes both your cover letter and resume.