Project Manager, Origination, Large-Scale Renewables - Albany, NY or New York City, NY
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, 10 gigawatts of solar by 2030, and 6 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. With the recent approval of the Climate Action Council’s final Scoping Plan, we have a strong framework to achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions economy-wide.
On April 2, 2020, Governor Cuomo signed into law the Accelerated Renewable Energy Growth and Community Benefit Act [PDF] (Accelerated Renewables Act), which makes major changes in the forum and permitting process for large-scale renewable projects. Specifically, the bill established a new renewable siting structure to be managed by a new office within the Department of State.
On October 15, 2020, the PSC issued its Order Adopting Modifications to the Clean Energy Standard (Order) [PDF]. In the Order, the PSC adopted several modifications to the Clean Energy Standard (CES) to align it with the CLCPA mandates. The Order authorizes NYSERDA, as central procurement administrator, to adopt procurement targets to meet the 70% renewable energy goal by 2030 and establish new renewable energy tiers in the furtherance of this goal.
NYSERDA’s Large-Scale Renewables team is at the forefront of this endeavor. The Large-Scale Renewables team executes on solicitations to support renewable resources through REC contracts. NYSERDA also administers the agreements resulting from these competitive solicitations to ensure that the proposed projects are developed in compliance with contractual requirements, reach commercial operation and continue to deliver RECs to New York for the tenor of the contracts. Once operational, the projects report their energy production through the New York Generation Attribute Tracking System (NYGATS), a market-based trading and accounting platform for the generation attributes such as RECs, which is also used to report the State’s progress toward the achievement of the Clean Energy Standard mandate.
- Support the design and execution of NYSERDA’s procurement programs, including:
- Modification to existing solicitations to incorporate new policy directive, legislative changes/requirements, and improvements presented from previous solicitations;
- If applicable, development and implementation of new solicitations/competitive programs pending future policy changes and PSC directives;
- Stakeholder engagement and collaboration with other state agencies/authorities and external partners to support program and policy evolution;
- Engagement and management of external contractors to support the solicitation administration;
- Solicitation drafting in accordance with the New York State Public Service Commission’s regulatory instructions and New York State policy priorities;
- Coordinating proposal intake and bid evaluation processes to support rigorous, meticulously documented and defensible solicitation outcomes that are made on behalf of the State’s ratepayers;
- Utilize various databases/external platforms to facilitate the intake of competitive bids and manage agreements resulting from competitive procurements.
- Develop and perform analysis to evaluate the cost and benefits of policies that support New York State’s climate goals established by the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act.
- Develop and perform quantitative analyses to assess impacts of existing and potential energy policies on renewable energy supply, demand and markets.
- Manage external contractor teams engaged in analysis on behalf of NYSERDA as well as participate in and lead teams from NYSERDA and other State agencies to advance projects.
- Perform other related responsibilities as assigned.
- 3 years of relevant competitive procurement, renewable energy, project development, financing, or operational experience
- Bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree preferred
- Knowledge of renewable energy technologies and development processes
- Strong project management skills
- Superior organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent computer skills, experience with Microsoft Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, etc.)
- Excellent record keeping, database management and organization skills
- Must be a self-starter and function well independently and in teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experienced in renewable energy project development and financing or in the design, installation, operation, monitoring, maintenance, or repair of renewable generation facilities
- Experience with electric grid modelling (Power Flow Analysis, Production Cost Modelling) and transmission and distribution properties/limitations
- Knowledgeable of wholesale energy markets or REC markets
- Experienced in Large-Generator Interconnection and Small-Generator Interconnection processes
- Experienced in the asset management or the operations and maintenance of Large-Scale Renewable power generation facilities
The salary range is $71,685 - $120,156. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file for the Project Manager, Origination, Large Scale Renewables position, job# 758, that includes both your cover letter and resume.