Senior Advisor for Policy, Large-Scale Renewables - Albany or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. The Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) has created the most aggressive climate change goals in the nation and requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating across a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving. New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders that span residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy
Our ultimate mission is to advance clean energy innovation and investments to combat climate change, improving the health, resiliency, and prosperity of New Yorkers and delivering benefits equitably to all.
The Large-Scale Renewables team seeks a creative, self-motivated and knowledgeable individual with energy and project management skills as well as communications and interpersonal skills to join the team as a Senior Advisor for Policy. The successful candidate will engage on a diverse range of LSR topics including hydrogen as a decarbonization resource, onshore wind, solar and offshore wind. This position is not focused on procurement but rather on addressing specific yet diverse topics affecting the LSR team’s work such as supply chain constraints, NYISO changes to capacity accreditation, evolution of existing programs and go-forward strategy to achieve the goals of the Climate Act as they relate to the Clean Energy Standard and the work of the LSR team. This position will also conduct analysis and strategy development to help New York achieve our goal of 100% emission-free electricity by 2040 and economy-wide deep decarbonization. This role will be equal parts strategic planning, policy analysis and creation, influencing stakeholders, managing contractors, and communicating results. Great interpersonal skills and the ability to clearly communicate complex topics to a variety of audiences is essential.
- Support initial planning, program design, and execution activities across all aspects of Large-Scale Renewables
- Support development, scoping, contracting, and oversight of various research projects
- Foster multi-stakeholder collaboration among NYSERDA teams, government agencies, external researchers, and community organizations
- Advance methods and processes to maximize benefits to disadvantaged communities stemming from NYSERDA investments
- Establish and maintain positive collaborative working relationships across NYSERDA and its NY Green Bank, and with key regulators and stakeholders including the Department of Public Service, NYS Division of Budget, Department of Environmental Conservation, Department of State, NYPA, NYISO, external auditors, and investment advisors
- Support NYSERDA-wide efforts to operate as an inclusive community, working concertedly to deliver on ambitious climate goals
- Perform other responsibilities as needed
- Bachelor's degree with at least 5 years industry experience
- A genuine passion for matters relating to energy and the environment
- Knowledge of renewable energy technologies and/or large infrastructure project development processes
- Superior record keeping, database management, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Must be a self-starter and function well independently and in teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A Master’s degree
- Knowledge of energy markets and systems, renewable energy technology and associated infrastructure
- Experienced in renewable energy project development or renewable energy finance, utility operations or independent system operator functions
- Experienced in stakeholder engagement and coalition building
- Knowledge of wholesale energy markets, particularly in New York
- Experience and/or familiarity with a range of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies
- Experience presenting complex information to a variety of audiences
The salary range is $116,686 - $147,256. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.