Program Manager, Analysis, Large-Scale Renewables - Albany, NY or New York City, NY
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, 10 gigawatts of solar by 2030, and 6 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. With the recent approval of the Climate Action Council’s final Scoping Plan, we have a strong framework to achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions economy-wide.
The New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders spanning residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit from energy efficiency and renewable energy
Our ultimate mission is to advance clean energy innovation and investments to combat climate change, improving the health, resiliency, and prosperity of New Yorkers and deliver benefits equitably to all.
The Large-Scale Renewables (LSR) team seeks to hire a Program Manager to lead LSR-specific analytic strategy and implementation. LSR analysis activities support numerous tasks related to the achievement of the State’s clean energy mandates. This role will be responsible for the creation of a three-person analytics team, continued evolution of analytic strategy and implementation and delivery of work products that enable data-driven, informed decision-making in complex, new and changing market constructs. Furthermore, this role is at the core of the LSR team and directly supports nearly every aspect of the program including wind, solar and off-shore wind procurements and program operation, load-serving entity obligations and REC sales. This is not your typical analyst team; our work often involves creating complex analysis, forward looking supply and cost curves and forecasting and evaluating second and third order impacts from our investments such as job creation, disadvantaged community benefits and economic impact.
To be successful in this role, a candidate must have strong technical/analytical knowledge while also possessing excellent project management, writing and presentation skills; great interpersonal skills are a must. High-quality analysis is critical and so is being able to convey results and program policy options to a range of audiences. The ability to synthesize and communicate complex analytical concepts to a non-technical audience, senior executives and policy makers is essential. This role will engage with and manage internal staff as well as external contractors and will also provide direct technical guidance and advisement to internal NYSERDA teams. This role with also interface with the New York State Department of Public Service, Public Service Commission, Department of Tax and Finance and others.
- Contribute to New York’s strategic decision making and renewable policy development by providing input regarding the financial costs, stakeholder needs, policy alignment, and potential market impacts of such decisions as understood through rigorous market analysis
- Build a Large-Scale Renewables analytics team comprised of internal and external resources
- Prioritize workstreams and resources to deliver high-quality analytical insights supporting program operations across multiple LSR teams and support all Tiers of the Clean Energy Standard.
- Build, operate and/or analyze energy financial models and forecasts (i.e. Microsoft Excel)
- Work in close collaboration with NYSERDA’s Energy and Environmental Analysis team to quantify and forecast economics associated with New York’s large-scale renewable projects
- Manage a team of external consultants to maintain and utilize modeling tools capturing the State’s large-scale renewable potential, including technologies such as land-based wind, offshore wind, solar PV, hydro and hydrogen
- Support various regulatory filings issued by NYSERDA, advancing initiatives such as Tier 1 REC and OREC procurements, which together support the implementation of the State’s Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act
- Support the team by developing strategies that overcome clean energy market barriers and accelerate the scale and penetration of clean energy projects in New York
- Acquire, research, structure and analyze data from public, industry and proprietary sources
- 10 years industry experience related to project finance, renewable energy project development or another related field
- Bachelor's degree in economics, finance, accounting, engineering, or another technical field
- Knowledge of and insight into renewable energy technology, environmental impacts and markets, and market actors, economics, and impediments.
- Project management and leadership skills including the ability to work as a team leader, to maintain project timelines, budgets, and deliver on commitments
- Highest level of communication and interpersonal skills involving the ability to work cross-functionally to understand requirements, present alternatives and recommendations
- Advanced presentation skills; demonstrated ability to break down new and complex topics and communicate clear insights
- Commercial mindset with clear understanding of finance and economic concepts
- Demonstrated capacity for analytical thinking, problem-solving ability, resourcefulness, adaptability, and an instinct for generating value and pragmatic solutions
- Skill in managing multiple, diverse projects or activities simultaneously, delivering on commitments and operating with speed, accuracy and strong judgement
- Experienced in energy modeling, analysis and consulting, renewable energy project development or renewable energy finance, utility operations or independent system operator functions
- Knowledge of wholesale energy markets and systems, renewable energy technology and associated infrastructure
- Strong stakeholder outreach and engagement capabilities including strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to lead a broad, diverse team, building relationships with other department to accomplish objectives
- Highly organized and detail-oriented; able to lead multiple parallel work streams
- Ability to cope with tight deadlines and high-stress work environment
- Entrepreneurial and innovative; energized by engaging in new industries/technologies; continuous learner mindset
- Demonstrated organizational and process management skills
- Advanced Excel user, knowledge of other software a plus, including Tableau
The salary range is $116,686 – $147,256. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file for the Program Manager, Analysis, Large Scale Renewables position, job# 754, that includes both your cover letter and resume.