Project Manager, Build-Ready Program - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy economy. With the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation to achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and 40% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 - all while delivering critical benefits to historically underserved and otherwise disadvantaged communities. Doing so requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating within a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving.
New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders spanning residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit from energy efficiency and renewable energy
Our ultimate mission is to advance clean energy innovation and investments to combat climate change, improving the health, resiliency, and prosperity of New Yorkers and delivering benefits equitably to all.
NYSERDA’s Build-Ready Program is seeking a highly motivated Project Manager to join our Team. The Build-Ready Program delivers benefits to communities across New York by advancing a portfolio of large-scale renewable energy projects on underutilized, difficult sites for construction and operation by the private sector. Working with local partners and stakeholders, Build-Ready identifies sites on brownfields, landfills, and previously existing or abandoned commercial and industrial properties, and advances pre-construction development activities including site control, host community benefits, preliminary design, permitting, and interconnection. Projects are competitively auctioned to private developers for final design, construction, operation, maintenance, and eventually decommissioning. For more on the Build-Ready program, please visit our webpage.
This role is an opportunity to join a one-of-a-kind State led renewable energy program and directly support New York’s transition to a clean energy economy. The Project Manager’s ultimate priority is to develop buildable, large-scale renewable energy projects, with an initial focus on solar projects and solar paired with energy storage. The core responsibility for this role entails supporting project development activities on sites within Build-Ready’s portfolio until they are ready to competitively auction to the private sector. This role focuses on managing the local, state, and federal permitting processes, and supporting project engineering and system design with senior leadership.
The Project Manager will work with senior leadership to build and nurture relationships with local stakeholders, including landowners and local governments, state and federal agencies, utilities, and others to bring underutilized, difficult sites to commercially viable projects. This role reports directly to the Build-Ready’s Director and is expected to work closely with the team’s Senior Project Manager, Program Manager, and other Project Managers, NYSERDA staff, and external consultants. This role will primarily support project development and must already possess, or quickly develop, fundamental market knowledge and skills to support the development of a successful portfolio of projects.The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, tenacious, determined, self-motivated and independent, while also a team player, a great communicator, and highly organized able to manage multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands.
- Support development and management of a portfolio of large-scale solar and solar + energy storage projects in New York State.
- At the project level, task-level management and coordination amongst an internal team and external consultants, with a primary focus on environmental review and permitting, as well as supporting site control activities, and interconnection assessments and the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) interconnection process
- Work with senior leadership to develop and manage project timelines, schedule, budget, and ensure projects remain within budget and on schedule
- Maintain accurate information about projects in NYSERDA’s system of record
- Represent NYSERDA in community settings and in front of large multi-stakeholder settings
- Manage and update financial models to assess viability of renewable energy project opportunities
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree Civil/Environmental Engineering or Environmental Science, or other relevant field
- 3+ years of project management experience in NYS energy permitting and licensing.
- Familiarity with SEQRA, Accelerated Renewable Energy Growth and Community Benefit Act and Section 94-c of the New York State Executive Law preferred
- Advanced ability to solve complex problems and assess risk and uncertainty in project development
- Skill in managing multiple, complex and diverse projects, delivering on commitments and operating with speed, accuracy and strong judgement
- Detail-oriented with strong planning, critical thinking and process driven skills
- Demonstrated ability to both lead and follow in cross functional teams
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight
- Understanding of contract terms and ability to recognize discrepancies
- Ability to interpret technical reports and studies and communicate project impact
- Strong computer skills with MS Office
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Ability to travel up to 30% to communities within New York State
The salary range is $71,685 - $120,156. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.