Chief Program Officer - Albany or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. The Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) [PDF] has created the most aggressive climate change goals in the nation and requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating across a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving. New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders that span residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy
The Chief Program Officer position will report directly to the President and CEO as a NYSERDA Officer (a position officially codified by the NYSERDA Board), and a member of NYSERDA’s Executive Team. The selected candidate will guide approximately eight business units totaling more than 300 professionals responsible for our programmatic and operational achievements and oversee an annual budget of approximately $1.4 billion.
- Integrate NYSERDA’s programmatic strategies for its Buildings, Renewables (Distributed and Large-Scale), Transportation, Innovation, Communities/Partnerships, Operations, and New York Green Bank teams, ensuring market relevance and alignment with state policy and organizational vision and goals
- Oversee and lead NYSERDA’s cross cutting programmatic strategy, integrating across teams, leveraging program and market assessments to optimize and integrate results of the state’s investments to achieve greenhouse gas reduction and market scale for clean energy technologies and services. Focus efforts to enhance inter-team and cross-unit collaboration and alignment
- Collaborate with other NYSERDA Officers on organizational strategy and overall management of the Authority
- Coordinate with and guide program and operational business unit leads to ensure needed program cross-fertilization, align resources with relative need, seamlessly integrate new initiatives, and foster learning opportunities to keep the teams and processes on the cutting edge
- Present to and coordinate with NYSERDA’s Board regarding organizational strategy and programmatic initiatives
- Consult with other state agencies and stakeholders for program development to integrate clean energy and emissions reductions strategies, leveraging NYSERDA data and market expertise. Maintain and build trusted relationships with key state agencies, partners, and stakeholders
- Analyze internal operations as it relates to our programmatic activities and identify as well as implement areas of high impact process enhancement to improve our efficiency and effectiveness as an organization
- Translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and impact, helping to integrate organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operating planning
- Ensure efficient and effective deployment of resources consistent with organizational goals, working with staff to balance workload and effort, and coordinating with operational/support teams to identify and implement streamlining opportunities to boost relative impact
- Work with other program leaders to clear roadblocks to success, including support for our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) team in building a highly inclusive culture in which all team members can thrive, and work/life balance is valued while organizational outcomes are being met.
- Liaise with the Office of the President to ensure that programmatic approach corresponds with broader strategies and needs and also to field and respond to requests coming from the Executive Chamber and other external parties
- Work with NYSERDA’s Corporate Communications team to prepare timely and compelling communications internally and externally to build statewide support for key initiatives while keeping team members well-informed
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 10 years of industry experience with 5 or more years’ experience in executive leadership positions
- In-depth understanding of advanced business planning, regulatory issues, and the economic and political forces influencing clean energy and climate change
- Proven experience as a “leader of leaders” guiding large-scale, multiyear, complex change initiatives to deliver desired results on time and on budget
- Managerial experience overseeing a team of more than 50 staff responsible for multiple complex programs and initiatives
- Direct experience leading program development, management, and evaluation activities
- A solid grasp of data analysis, performance metrics, and strategic and tactical planning
- A genuine passion for issues related to energy, climate, and the environment
- Leadership skills, with a steadfast resolve and personal integrity that motivate and inspire
- Resourceful, creative problem-solver focused on pragmatic and effective solutions, maintaining focus on the big picture while paying attention to details
- Proven communication skills, both listening to learn and presenting to influence
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA, MPA, or JD a plus
The ideal candidate will be passionate about working and supporting NYSERDA’s goals and initiatives around diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek a Chief Program Officer who will embrace diversity and a culture of inclusivity and humanity within the workplace.
The salary range is $199,525 and potentially up to $207,506. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.