Senior Project Manager, Codes, Products, and Standards - Albany or New York Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. The Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) [PDF] has created the most aggressive climate change goals in the nation and requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating across a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving. New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders that span residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a person knowledgeable about state and federal product and appliance efficiency standards to help drive New York’s building decarbonization efforts through NYSERDA’s role with codes and standards. With the passage and signing of the “Advanced Building Codes, Appliance and Equipment Efficiency Standards Act of 2022” NYSERDA will play a new and important role leading state product and appliance standards, and this position will help develop and implement the programs needed to achieve key goals.
The selected individual will develop, execute, and drive codes and standards advancement and compliance strategies, including engaging with the community and the market and coordinating activities with various stakeholders and with other NYSERDA strategies and interventions. The person selected for this position will help set State strategy for this area while leading tactical imperatives to reach State goals, including advancing new types and categories of State appliance standards. More broadly, typical strategies deployed by the Codes, Products, and Standards team may include the following: State and federal appliance standards, energy and uniform code advancement, benchmarking, building performance standards, training, direct support, concept development and testing, policy and regulatory updates, or new market roles. The selected person will interact closely with the Department of State, manufacturers, distributors, retailers, installers, trade associations, other states’ agencies, U.S. Department of Energy, national labs, and energy advocacy organizations. This position may require 10-20% travel.
- Identify, develop, and support strategies to advance appliance standards and policies towards building decarbonization and make them more accessible to address the State’s sustainability and carbon reduction goals
- Evolve and continuously adapt strategies to optimize impact and effectiveness based on results, market data and insights, evaluation, expertise, and critical thinking
- Develop subject matter expertise on appliance standards and energy policy issues and provide support as needed to other NYSERDA programs
- Solicit, develop, and effectively manage consultant contracts against established risks, deliverables, schedule, and budget to insure maximum likelihood of success and prudent use of NYSERDA resources
- Develop collaborative relationships and engage with key stakeholders and partners in the product and appliance supply chains, such as manufacturers, distributors, retailers, installers, trade associations, to identify issues and market-resonant solutions
- Quantify and document program activities and assess progress against established goals
- Coordinate closely with the NYS Department of State, affiliated states and their energy offices/agencies, the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, US Department of Energy, and the US Environmental Protection Agency on policy and regulatory advancements
- Represent NYSERDA in collaborative efforts with private and public organizations and institutions
- Supervise staff and work closely and actively engage with other NYSERDA teams involved with synergistic efforts
- Model diligent attention to NYSERDA processes and champion process improvements
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 8 years of relevant regulatory, product deployment, supply chain, program management, building science, engineering, energy codes, or environmental experience in project management, contract management, business processes, stakeholder engagement, or another related field
- Knowledge of and insight into appliance standards, regulatory proceedings, environmental and economic impacts, opportunities, and impediments
- A demonstrated track record of advancing innovative clean energy strategies and policies from concept to implementation; ideally interacting with regulatory bodies/agencies
- Mission-driven individual who is motivated by NYSERDA's work to solve the world’s biggest climate and environmental challenges
- Proven ability to drive significant strategic development and advancement paired with strong tactical and implementation abilities to see projects to the end
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability, resourcefulness, adaptability, and instinct for surfacing value and pragmatic solutions
- Skill in managing multiple diverse activities simultaneously, delivering on commitments and operating with speed, accuracy, and strong judgment
- Meticulous attention to detail; strong planning and critical thinking skills with the ability to anticipate needs of key stakeholders
- A strong customer orientation and work ethic; resolute integrity
- Superior interpersonal and presentation skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds; demonstrated ability to develop relations with key stakeholder groups; and the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely, and unambiguously in speech and in writing
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree, PMP certification, Six Sigma and/or Lean certification preferred
The salary range is $101,403 - $128,142. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.