Senior Project Manager, Hydrogen Innovation - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) [PDF], New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to:
- Produce 70% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030
- Reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040
- Install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035
- Install 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025
- Install 6 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030
Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
As New York transitions to a clean energy economy, we are seeking to understand and explore all resources that may be available as part of the State’s comprehensive decarbonization strategy, including assessing the role of hydrogen technologies in achieving the State’s ambitious Climate Act goals. https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/hydrogen
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a highly motivated, collaborative, experienced individual to join our Hydrogen and Clean Fuel Innovation team. This individual will assume a critical role in implementing NYSERDA’s strategy for hydrogen, including hydrogen generation, distribution, and its consumption in various areas such as transportation, power generation, building heating, and industrial applications. The selected individual will manage projects related to technology strategic planning including policy, economic, and supply chain considerations as well as research & development initiatives, and participate in creating the first hydrogen roadmap for New York State.
Assuming a return to safe travel, the Senior Project Manager, Hydrogen & Clean Fuels will be expected to travel approximately 10-20% of professionally committed time to meet with team members, stakeholders, current project partners and potential future partners. The Senior Project Manager, Hydrogen Innovation reports to Program Manager, Hydrogen & Clean Fuels.
- Plan activities and initiatives to advance hydrogen’s role in New York State to achieve CLCPA goals, decarbonize hard-to-electrify sectors, provide resiliency solutions in a highly electrified energy system, support grid firm capacity, while benefiting disadvantaged communities and creating jobs across the state
- Support NYSERDA’s strategy in innovation and commercialization of hydrogen technologies. This will include the development and execution of solicitations to identify promising technology and business innovations. Evaluate market size and technology readiness for various application of hydrogen, manage projects in research and development, economic and supply chain development, as well as policy or barrier evaluation activities
- Coordinate with other New York state agencies (such as DEC, ESD, DOT, etc.), other states such as MA, CT, NJ, CA, etc. on a multi-state regulatory framework. Engage other government entities and organizations from other countries as needed in collecting information to support ongoing and future NYSERDA projects
- Work in close collaboration with NYSERDA’s other innovation teams including Renewables Optimization and Energy Storage, Smart Grid, and Advanced Buildings; as well as relevant market development groups such as Clean Transportation, Large Scale Renewables, Energy & Environmental Analysis to inform the innovation portfolio, commercialization strategy, supply chain development, policy options, and assess barriers market adoption
- Develop and negotiate the work scopes, technical/business milestones, and budgets of NYSERDA funded projects and effectively manage projects to ensure maximum likelihood of success and prudent use of NYSERDA financial resources
- Provide a broad range of value-added services (addressing regulatory barriers, identifying strategic corporate partners, leveraging private capital, etc.) to guide innovators to bring their products and technology to market faster and assist them in leveraging follow on investment from non-NYSERDA sources
- Work with colleagues, partners, market participants, stakeholders, and customers to remain current and up to date regarding the state-of-the-art in hydrogen technologies and markets
- Evolve and continuously adapt strategies to optimize impact, overcome technical and market barriers, animate the market, encourage private capital and investment, and increase the scale and penetration of hydrogen’s role in New York
- Represent NYSERDA in collaborative programs with private and public organizations and institutions
- Manage financial, legal, technical staff, and contractor resources for efficiency and effectiveness
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 10 years of experience in one or more of these energy sectors: power generation, grid system, transportation, building heating and cooling, and/or high temperature industrial process
- Knowledge of the hydrogen ecosystem, product and technology, market trends, and environmental impact
- Demonstrated skills in cost and performance analysis, system integration, market analysis, and stakeholder engagement
- Experience in research and development, from stakeholder engagement, concept creation, project design, technical approach validation, project performance and evaluation, project completion to commercialization
- Experience in developing lifecycle product strategy, and multigeneration new technology roadmaps
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability, an entrepreneurial edge, resourcefulness, adaptability, and an instinct for finding value and pragmatic solutions
- Skill in managing multiple diverse projects or activities simultaneously, delivering on commitments, and operating with speed, accuracy, and skillful judgment
- Ability to be a self-starter and function well independently and in teams
- Relevant interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to develop relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, ability to produce effective and purposeful written material
- Bachelor’s degree, engineering or other science disciplines highly desired; an advanced degree preferred
The salary range is $101,403 - $128,142. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter.