Director, Build Ready - Albany or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) [PDF], New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation to achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and 40% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 - all while delivering critical benefits to historically underserved and otherwise disadvantaged communities. Doing so requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating within a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving.
New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders spanning residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit from energy efficiency and renewable energy
Our ultimate mission is to advance clean energy innovation and investments to combat climate change, improving the health, resiliency, and prosperity of New Yorkers and delivering benefits equitably to all.
NYSERDA’s Build-Ready Program is seeking a highly motivated Project Development Manager to join our Team. The Build-Ready Program delivers benefits to communities across New York by advancing a portfolio of renewable energy projects on underutilized, difficult sites for construction and operation by the private sector. Working with local partners and stakeholders, Build-Ready identifies sites on brownfields, landfills, and previously existing or abandoned commercial and industrial properties, and advances pre-construction development activities including site control, host community benefits, preliminary design, permitting, and interconnection. Projects are competitively auctioned to private developers for final design, construction, operation, maintenance, and eventually decommissioning. For more on the Build-Ready program, please visit our webpage.
The Director will be tasked with leading the Build-Ready team and will report to the Vice President of Large-Scale Renewables (LSR). The Director will be responsible for Program strategy and implementation, team management and day-to-day aspects of the Program’s project development portfolio, from site identification through auction. The ultimate priority of this position will be to identify, secure and develop a portfolio of renewable energy projects to meet the Build-Ready Program’s goals and targets while supporting NYSERDA’s and New York State’s clean energy and climate change objectives.
This role is an opportunity to join a one-of-a-kind State led renewable energy program and directly support New York’s transition to a clean energy economy. The Director will manage an initial budget of $50 million and build an evergreen self-funded program. The Director will manage a team of five direct reports, including a Program Manager and Project Managers, as well as external consultants, and collaborate closely with NYSERDA-wide staff and other stakeholders.
The Director will foster an environment that prioritizes building and nurturing relationships with local stakeholders, including local governments and industrial development agencies, state and federal agencies, and utilities to ensure the Program advances viable projects and provides benefits to host communities.
- Direct, guide and coach the Build-Ready Program team to ensure the Program achieves its goals and meets Program targets and requirements
- Identify and prioritize viable project opportunities by leading a cross-functional team including energy resource engineers, transmission, permitting, legal, and other subject matter experts
- Interface with internal and external project managers to ensure that projects remain within budget and on schedule
- Oversee all aspects of renewable energy projects site identification, prospecting, prioritization, land-rights acquisition, environmental review and permitting, engineering and system design, transmission/interconnection processes, and site auction process.
- Build upon and execute on a strategy for competitive offtake of Build-Ready renewable energy projects
- Influence within a matrixed management structure including with other departments such as Legal, Communications, the Clean Energy Siting team, Tier 1, and Distributed Energy Resources (DER) etc.
- Manage Program budget consisting of both expenditures and revenues in accordance with applicable rules and in concert with financial team
- Develop portfolio pricing strategy to ensure cost recoupment and the long-term set up of the evergreen structure and self-funding of the program.
- Develop and provide reports to NYSERDA and New York State management including updates on project status and changes to the Build-Ready Program strategy
- Manage a multi-disciplinary team of staff and contractors and associated matrix support functions to assure clear roles and responsibilities
- Foster a collaborative and dynamic team culture, including assigning clear roles and responsibilities, professional development and retention strategies
- Implement an ongoing effort to conduct strategic planning, team vision, and short- and long-term goals and objectives
- Implement an ongoing program enhancement and efficiency strategy to ensure commercial excellence and continued growth and advancement of program goals and opportunities
- Develop and implement strategies to advance new and existing Program goals including exploring novel concepts, technologies and business models to advance New York State’s and NYSERDA’s clean energy and climate change goals
Relationship Building and Communication
- Identify and advance relationships to achieve Program goals
- Communicate clearly, with storytelling and presentation abilities on multiple platforms, both digitally and in-person, with the ability to tailor the message to various audiences including internal and external executives
- Lead marketing collateral development to best support the growth of the program and various stakeholder outreach activities
- NYSERDA with federal, state and local officials, regulators, utilities, and other stakeholders throughout the project development process, such as the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, the New York State Independent System Operator, elected and appointed municipal officials, Industrial Development Agencies, and private renewable energy developers
- 10 years of experience in energy project and commercial development, including sales, marketing and business development
- Previous experience and proven successful track record leading, directing and managing interdisciplinary project teams to develop and close complex project transactions, preferably within the renewable energy sector
- Experience with electrical generation siting, permitting and/or interconnection in New York
- Experience developing and managing renewable energy projects or similar infrastructure or economic development projects in close coordination with local government agencies including IDAs, preferably on previously contaminated lands such as brownfields or landfills
- Demonstrated success at formulating comprehensive strategies and negotiating solutions relating to complex issues and often competing stakeholder views
- Experience negotiating and closing on contract terms including Site Control, PILOT, and Host Community Agreements. This requires having a strong understanding of contract terms and ability to recognize discrepancies
- Experience leading and closing complex project and portfolio transactions
- Strong commercial instinct in identifying commercially viable projects
- Experience reviewing and interpreting interconnection studies, and project engineering designs and system studies (e.g. PV Syst reports)
- Advanced ability to solve complex problems and assess risk and uncertainty in project development
- Skill in managing multiple or complex and diverse projects, delivering on commitments and operating with speed, accuracy and strong judgement
- Detail-oriented with strong planning, critical thinking and process driven skills
- Excellent presenter with strong interpersonal skills; able to communicate persuasively, concisely and unambiguously in speech and in writing
- Ability to interpret technical reports and studies and communicate project impact
- Strong understanding of finance, both at the program and project level
- Strong computer skills with MS Office
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or Master’s degree preferred
- Ability to travel up to 30% to sites, meetings and conferences in New York
The salary range is $137,883 - $173,431. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter.