The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a leader to oversee a small team to accelerate the deployment of robust internal performance measurement, and to efficiently and effectively fulfill external corporate reporting requirements.
- NYSERDA’s internal performance measurement approach focuses on meaningful and measurable key performance indicators of progress and outcomes to assess the status of initiatives toward meeting their ultimate goals, and to identify where adjustments may be needed. Performance measurement provides the framework, corporate-wide, for collecting and presenting decision-quality information in support of NYSERDA’s test-measure-adjust strategy.
- Additionally, as a condition of the public funding it receives, NYSERDA has certain external corporate reporting obligations. These reports include information on program implementation, goal attainment and financial status.
To meet these needs, the leader of Performance Measurement and Corporate Reporting and staff in the group will be responsible for compilation of activity milestones, metrics (e.g., efficiency savings, renewable energy generation, renewable energy capacity installed, greenhouse gas emission reductions, participant bill savings and private investment) and common cost-effectiveness measures on a regular basis.
- Lead a small, high-impact team in NYSERDA’s conduct of performance measurement and corporate reporting across all its major funding portfolios.
- Maintain and improve existing corporate reporting and performance measurement systems and practices. Build out approaches, as needed, to meet new needs and requirements.
- Produce and provide quality assurance of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports.
- Effectively identify and document corporate reporting and performance measurement requirements, understanding data sources, data definitions and working with program staff and technologists to design solutions.
- Work to transform frequency, content, and medium of reports to be more fit to purpose, to lower preparation costs and, where possible, meet needs via public or selective data provision (e.g., Open NY) or other modern equivalents like dashboards.
- Work effectively with programmatic delivery teams to fully understand activity and output tracking as well as key outcome and impact metrics, and to collect this information regularly.
- Effectively engage other NYSERDA support functions that provide inputs, resources or otherwise aid in the accomplishment of corporate reporting and performance measurement objectives, including Market Characterization and Evaluation, Information Technology, and Data Quality.
- Collaborate with Corporate Marketing and Communications and other departments that produce information for external use to ensure alignment of facts.
- Provide information to the Director of Performance Management for presentation to NYSERDA’s Board of Directors, Officers and senior management on corporate and program performance as well as opportunities for improvement.
- Interact within multidisciplinary networks at NYSERDA and with the New York Green Bank, Department of Public Service, other agencies, and the Governor's office to advance the State’s success in clean energy proliferation.
- Foster and contribute to a culture of excellence grounded in people development, learning, problem solving, and teamwork.
- Develop colleagues to meet NYSERDA's goals and their own professional goals; serve as a mentor and a role model.
- Produce ad hoc reports and information as requested and perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- 5 or more years of relevant experience in performance measurement/management, providing decision-quality information through interaction with business/executive leaders
- Strong quantitative/analytical skills, with significant attention to detail in your own work and in the oversight of subordinates’ work
- Ability to clearly define and negotiate performance management and reporting business requirements through discussion with business/executive leaders, regulators, and with internal support functions
- Understanding of, and prior experience with, relational databases and data warehouse technologies
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability, an entrepreneurial edge, resourcefulness, adaptability, and an instinct for surfacing value and pragmatic solutions
- A strong team builder with an ability to build productive relationships across a diverse organization
- Skill in managing multiple diverse activities simultaneously, delivering on commitments and operating with speed, accuracy and strong judgment
- Puts the team first; a track record and natural predisposition toward investing in the success of colleagues
- Relentless work ethic
- Resolute integrity
- Top-notch presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds; the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely and unambiguously in speech and in writing
- A bachelor’s degree in business management, economics, mathematics, engineering, or a related discipline; the addition of an advanced degree in a similar field is preferred
Preference will be given to individuals who possess
- Direct experience developing, analyzing and refining strategies in the clean-energy market
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft, Salesforce, SharePoint (plus other Microsoft Suite products), Tableau, and other tools currently used by NYSERDA to manage and visualize data
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please include the Title and Job Code 430 in the Subject Line.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.