The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a creative, self-motivated and knowledgeable individual with strong analytical skills as well as developed communications and interpersonal skills to join the Data and Markets team within Energy and Environmental Analysis.
Energy and Environmental Analysis assists New York State energy policy decision-makers by providing energy market and system operations intelligence across all fuels and sectors supporting the New York State economy; utilizing this intelligence to evaluate policy alternatives for addressing vital public needs; and helping foster informed energy planning through the quantitative analysis of energy issues and policies.
The Project Manager’s primary responsibilities will be to
- Contribute to the State’s overall energy policy development through activities including the New York State Energy Plan.
- Apply knowledge of energy systems infrastructures, reliability requirements, and market dynamics to inform policy or project formation, and to represent NYSERDA at various forums to provide expert knowledge of New York State system requirements or desired policy outcomes.
- Formulate policy and study activity that fosters greater depth of understanding of energy systems capabilities and vulnerabilities; collaborate with other state agency partners to participate in energy planning activities, such as reliability studies led by the New York Independent System Operation (NYISO).
- Assess energy market price trends, price and use forecasts, supply-demand dynamics, and potential fuel supply infrastructure constraints that would require government response.
- Participate as a NYSERDA representative in the End-Use Consumer Market Sector of the NYISO Governance Processes, including participation in committee and subcommittee activities.
- Conduct quantitative analysis to assess policy impacts on supply, demand, and price of energy, analyze energy flows and trends over time, and develop new energy indicators and regional energy statistics where advisable.
- Support execution of weekly survey program of heating fuels including collection of primary data, and review and analysis of pricing information. Analyze and present heating fuels and survey data.
- Conduct studies, analyses, and operational assessments of individual infrastructure components of the petroleum fuels supply and distribution systems related to infrastructure resiliency and market impact assessments; including identifying vulnerabilities and performing risk analyses to support NYSERDA’s energy assurance and emergency event responsibilities for petroleum fuel supply disruptions at the NYS Office of Emergency Management.
- Serve as an energy systems expert resource to NYSERDA energy efficiency and renewable energy program staff and provide information and insight to help inform the development of clean energy programs.
- Assist in development of policy briefings and presentations for NYSERDA Executives and the Board of Directors.
- Manage external contractor teams engaged in analysis on behalf of NYSERDA as well as participate in and lead teams from NYSERDA and other State agencies to advance projects.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess include
- 2 years related experience
- Top-notch presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds; the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely and unambiguously in speech and in writing
- Computer skills to complete analytical functions
- Strong work ethic and resolute integrity
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, economics, finance, public administration, or a related field of analytical study
- Master’s degree in one of the above or business and relevant job experience are highly valued
Applicants should be able to demonstrate having some or all of the following skills enhanced by a willingness to learn about new issues and analytical tools
- Understanding of electricity, natural gas and petroleum fuels infrastructures, energy/fuel transmission and distribution systems operations, system reliability requirements, and system interdependencies.
- Understanding of energy markets, including electricity and fossil fuel markets, and economic issues related to energy and environmental policy
- Technical expertise in quantitative analysis of energy issues
- Experience working in a team environment both as a team leader and active team member
- Experience managing complex analytical projects which engage in-house experts and staff, external consultant teams, and external industry experts and stakeholders.
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please include Project Manager, Data & Markets and Job Code 249 in the Subject Line.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.