PV systems convert solar radiation (sunlight) into electricity, which is why they are also often referred to as "Solar-Electric systems". PV systems have many advantages: they use a "free" power source (the sun) and have little impact on our environment, as no greenhouse gases are created in the generation of the electricity. PV systems can be installed on either a roof or on the ground using a ground mount system.
- In contrast with electricity generated by fossil fuels, PV-generated electricity creates no noise, air or water pollution
- Provides long-term stabilization of electrical costs
- When combined with a battery backup system, a PV unit can provide you with power when utility power is out
- NYSERDA provides incentives that can reduce the customer’s out of pocket cost.
- Additional federal and state tax credits may apply*
* System owners may qualify for up to 30% federal tax credits. Always consult with your qualified tax professional or accountant to determine your eligibility for tax credits.