Residential gut rehabilitation may involve substantial renovation of an existing home or residential building, or might involve re-use of an existing building or space, converting its use to residential dwellings. While many residential gut rehabilitation projects can qualify as New York ENERGY STAR® Certified Homes, certain projects will be eligible for the alternative New York Energy $mart designation allowing access to the same program services and incentives.
- Gut Rehabilitation projects may be single family homes, multi-unit or even low-rise multifamily buildings
- Incentives range from $2,000 to $8,000 per dwelling unit
- Model and Display homes may be eligible for an additional $1,000 incentive
- Historic Buildings may qualify
- Technical support at multiple levels is available from your selected RESNET Home Energy Rater and their Quality Assurance Provider, as well as support offered by NYSERDA
For more information regarding support available for gut rehabilitation projects, please review NYSERDA’s Low-rise Residential New Construction Program. Information specific to gut rehabilitation projects and historic buildings is detailed on page 5 of the Minimum Performance Standards.