NYSERDA’s Multifamily Performance Program for New Construction is an integral part of our Multifamily Energy Performance Portfolio. With it, you can save even before construction begins, by planning a variety of energy-saving features, including:
A NYSERDA Multifamily Performance Partner will work with your design team to incorporate potential energy efficiency options into the building’s initial design. They’ll ensure that program requirements are fulfilled from the start. The fastest way to get started is to find a Partner.
How your new building will benefit
- Lower energy bills: A New York ENERGY STAR® Multifamily Building uses at least 15 percent less energy than a building constructed to American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) standard
- Better building performance: Buildings are "performance tested" to confirm that they meet or exceed the New York ENERGY STAR® Multifamily Building standard
- Improved operations; easier maintenance: Energy-efficient technologies are generally designed for high performance and should result in all-around efficiencies for facility managers
How the incentives work
Eligible buildings qualify for NYSERDA incentives based on meeting energy-savings goals, the number of units or square footage, and whether the building is market-rate or affordable housing (see the chart below).
Incentives can be used to offset the costs associated with implementing energy efficiency measures, and verifying that the completed building meets NYSERDA requirements.
NYSERDA offers two options for new construction: the Performance Path and the Prescriptive Path. The Performance Path begins with customized energy modeling to create a Proposed Energy Reduction Plan. The Energy Reduction Plan is customized to your building, and can offer significant flexibility in the manner in which your building meets its energy-savings goals. The Prescriptive Path relies instead on a fixed set of energy-saving measures and requirements. Your Partner can help you determine which path makes the most sense for your building design.
New Construction Incentives
Anticipated as of November 1, 2014, pending DPS approval of funds transfer.*
|New Construction – Base Incentive
|Performance and Prescriptive
|Performance and Prescriptive
* Incentives may be adjusted by NYSERDA, and may be revisited as soon as 2015.
A project's incentive may be reduced based on the cost and/or cost-effectiveness of the recommended upgrades.
- Habitat for Humanity – NYC Atlantic Avenue multifamily project – A 25 percent improvement in energy use, a prestigious Gold certification from LEED, and predictable, affordable tenant energy bills for this 41-unit complex in Ocean Hill-Brownsville section of Brooklyn. Download the Atlantic Avenue case study [PDF].
- 1212 Martin Luther King Building – State-of-the-art building in the Bronx’s Highbridge neighborhood achieved an ENERGY STAR® rating and affordable rates for its tenants through a comprehensive suite of energy efficiency measures, which added only $3/sq ft to the $145/sq ft cost of the building, and will return upwards of $12,000 per year in energy savings. Download the Martin Luther King Building case study [PDF].
- Via Verde – The Multifamily Performance Program was an integral part of a larger initiative to develop this cutting-edge green building in The Bronx. Developers earned more than $600,000 in NYSERDA incentives to design energy-efficient features into Via Verde, which also has several green roofs and a large solar array. View the Via Verde video Case Study.
Interested in knowing more?
Your Performance Partner will help you fill out and submit all the appropriate paperwork. Here are links to the documents to get started in the Program.
Learn how to participate in the Multifamily Performance Program.