Each fall, the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) sponsors an annual public deer hunting program at the Western New York Nuclear Service Center (WNYNSC) in the town of Ashford, New York. Approximately 2,000 acres of the 3,340-acre facility are opened up for the entire Archery season and six and ½ days during Regular (gun) season to anyone with a valid New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Big Game or Sportsman License for that year. NYSERDA’s Program allows up to 70 hunters (10 hunters per area) to hunt each scheduled day and provides three Scouting days prior to the beginning of the Archery season.
- Preapproval to hunt in Archery season is mandatory. Each registered bow hunter is issued a wallet ID card to hunt any day of the season on a first-come, first-served basis.
- During the Regular season, you may preregister and select one hunting assignment of your choice; walk-ins will be allowed, subject to availability.
- Hunting with a rifle, pistol or crossbow is prohibited.
- Consumption of intoxicants (e.g., alcohol, marijuana) before or during hunting is prohibited.
- Violation of any NYSERDA safety or program rule may result in suspension of your participation in NYSERDA’s Program.
- Registered hunters may place only one portable tree stand on the WNYNSC. It must be tagged with the hunter’s identification and removed by the end of NYSERDA’s Regular season, or it may be subject to forfeiture.
In 2012, approximately 300 hunters participated in NYSERDA's program, harvesting 51 deer (27 does, 24 bucks) during the archery and gun seasons, which is a slight decrease from the previous year's harvest of 60 deer. Detailed harvest counts are available for the last 19 years upon request. Application packets for the 2013-2014 season will be available as of September 4, 2013.
- Download the 2013-2014 Deer Hunting Application [PDF]
- Request to have the 2013-2014 Deer Hunting Application mailed to you by sending an email to: email@example.com
- Interested hunters are encouraged to call the Deer Hunting Information Line (942-9960 ext.4990) throughout the year, for information on the program or to request an application.
- Completed applications must be mailed to the NYSERDA Deer Hunting Program, 9030-B Route 219, West Valley, New York 14171-9799, attention Alita Dueringer, or deposited in NYSERDA's office drop box.
To inquire about additional deer management permits for use at the WNYNSC, contact: The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. This site is located in Wildlife Management Unit 9M.