Research Project Summary Information
Demonstration of treatment technology for flowback and production water from hydraulically-fractured natural gas wells.(25220)
R3 Fusion Inc.
R3 Fusion’s patented SPaCeR technology is a compact, multi-functional heat exchanger. Its unique design exploits the benefits of thin film heat transfer, which minimizes scaling along the exchanger walls, thereby imparting significant energy savings as compared to conventional evaporation/distillation systems (i.e., shell and tube heat exchanger technology).
In a previous project, the SPaCeR technology was demonstrated at laboratory-scale using a single flowback sample. For this project a pilot-scale SPaCeR system will be demonstrated using multiple flowback and production water samples. Specifically, the project will include:
• Identifying and collecting water samples; and analyzing the samples.
• Determining re-use water quality parameters.
• Designing and fabricating a pilot-scale SPaCeR unit.
• Operating the pilot-scale unit to determine: a) the separation efficiency of the technology on a range of water samples, and b) the process parameters needed to achieve re-use quality water.
• Determining NYSDEC compliant, cost-effective disposal strategies for waters that are not of re-use quality.
• Identifying competitor technologies and performing a comparison between the SPaCeR technology and the competitor technologies.
• Designing a mobile SPaCeR unit.
Low-energy technology to treat flowback and production wastewater from hydraulically-fractured natural gas wells.
R3 Fusion Inc.
405 Jordan Rd
Troy, NY 12180
Waste Management and Pollution Prevention
NYSERDA Contact Information
R&D - Environment & Energy Res