Research Project Summary Information
Integrated Building Air Monitoring System(ST4943-1)
Perfect Sense, Inc
Perfect Sense, Inc. (PSI) has been selling indoor air quality (IAQ) products that detect total volatile organic compounds (TVOC) for the commercial building market since 1991. Based on preliminary interest in its recently introduced portable TVOC monitoring equipment, PSI began developing a device to be permanently mounted on a commercial building's HVAC equipment to monitor temperature, relative humidity, carbon dioxide, and TVOCs. PSI has sold a few such products to date with only data-monitoring and reporting capabilities, but the company would like to continue developing this product's capabilities so it can be integrated into a building's HVAC equipment to better control ventilation requirements.
The contractor will:
(1) Perform market research to establish the need for a fixed IAQ monitoring/control system integrated into a building's HVAC equipment
(2) Develop communications software to allow easy downloading of monitored data
(3) Develop and test an alpha-level prototype for integration into a building's HVAC equipment
(4) Field-test a beta version of the system in a commercial building
(5) Submit the beta version to an independent laboratory to test for Underwriters Laboratory, Canadian Standard Association, and Edison Testing Laboratory listing.
Demand-controlled ventilation strategies have the potential to reduce energy consumption by 50% when compared to continuous ventilation strategies. The system also has the potential to improve the indoor air quality of buildings and the service life of HVAC equipment. The proposed product could substantially increase PSI's sales if current market projections are achieved.
Because of changes in the indoor air quality and controls industries, the envisioned product's advantages diminished during the course of its development. The decision was made not to commercialize the final product design because other more promising opportunities became available.
Perfect Sense, Inc
373 Nesconset Hwy
Hauppauge, NY 11788
NYSERDA Contact Information
R&D - Buildings Research