Most New Yorkers qualify for a free or reduced-cost comprehensive home energy assessment, also referred to as an energy audit, that shows you how to improve your home's energy efficiency*. Learn more about the free or reduced-cost home assessments.
New Yorkers opting not to receive a free or reduced-cost comprehensive home energy assessment can still hire a participating Building Performance Institute (BPI) Accredited contractor to complete an assessment. The participating contractor will make recommendations for energy improvements.
- Select a participating BPI Accredited contractor who will conduct a home assessment. For a free or reduced-cost home assessment, fill out an application online or click here [PDF] to download a copy.
- The participating BPI Accredited Home Performance Contractor will work with you to develop a scope of work for the recommended measures and then they will submit a signed copy of the scope of work to NYSERDA for review and approval.
- Take advantage of select project financing options. Financing through the program is only available for energy-saving recommendations that are determined to be cost-effective.
- Implement the work using a participating BPI Accredited Home Performance Contractor. All work is subject to inspection by the Program.
- Sign a Certificate of Completion with the contractor when the work is satisfactorily completed.
Eligible Improvements and Upgrades
Note: Eligible improvements for 1- to 4- family homes include eligible measures and accessories [PDF] that have been determined by NYSERDA to meet the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® Program guidelines. For more information, please contact a Home Performance Contractor servicing your county.
*Financing, energy audits, and workforce development opportunities made available through the Green Jobs - Green NY Act of 2009.