This program is intended to increase the amount of clean, renewable energy that is generated in New York State, by providing financial incentives toward the installation of behind-the-meter wind turbines. The program offers incentives for Eligible Wind Turbines installed by Eligible Installers.
Read Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]
Read Wind Program Success Stories
Determining Wind Resource
NYSERDA bases incentives on the expected annual energy output (AEO) of the proposed wind energy system, as calculated by the Wind Professional Wind Resource Report determined from the New York State Small windExplorer.
To see the wind energy potential at your site, enter an address into the “Search” box and click “Search.” (The pin may be moved to the exact location of the wind energy system.) Next click “Get Report” and follow the instructions to produce a Customer Report.
- NYSERDA does not generally recommend wind systems for sites as to which the “Wind Energy Potential,” as shown on the Customer Report, is “Very Poor.”
- The New York State Small windExplorer is not appropriate for building-mounted turbines or for turbines to be installed in an urban environment. Potential installers of these systems must provide a detailed analysis of their methodology for determining average annual wind speed and estimated annual energy output.
Examples of Incentives and Limits
Eligible installers will be notified if NYSERDA’s incentives change. The following examples demonstrate the current program:
- Example: If the AEO of the turbine is 7,400 kWh, the NYSERDA incentive is $25,900. [7,400 kWh x $3.50/kWh]
If the AEO is greater than 10,000 kWh, but not greater than 125,000 kWh, than the NYSERDA incentive is $35,000 plus $1.00 per kWh for every kWh greater than 10,000 kWh.
- Example: If the AEO of the turbine is 32,500 kWh, the NYSERDA incentive is $57,500. [$35,000 + (22,500 kWh x $1.00/kWh)]
If the AEO is greater than 125,000 kWh, but not greater than 1,000,000 kWh, than the NYSERDA incentive is $150,000 plus $.30 per kWh for every kWh greater than 125,000 kWh.
- Example: If the AEO of the turbine is 200,000 kWh, the NYSERDA incentive is $172,500. [$150,000 + (75,000 kWh x $.30/kWh)]
If the AEO is greater than 1,000,000 kWh, than the NYSERDA incentive is $412,500 plus $.15 per kWh for every kWh greater than 1,000,000 kWh.
- Example: If the AEO of the turbine is 2,500,000 kWh, the NYSERDA incentive is $637,500. [$412,500 + (1,500,000 kWh x $.15/kWh)]
Incentive limits include:
- The maximum incentive available is $1,040,000 per site/customer.
- The maximum equipment size shall be 2 MW per site/customer.
- The NYSERDA incentive shall also not exceed 50% of the total installed cost of the wind energy system.
- Systems shall be sized such that the expected AEO (kWh/year) by the system will not exceed 110% of the customer’s annual electric energy usage, including eligible remote meters.
- For sites that do not have 12 months of electric consumption or that are increasing their electric use, an estimated energy use analysis may be used to predict that usage.
- Incentives are only available for the installation of new equipment and wind energy systems that have not been installed (partially or completely) prior to NYSERDA approval of an incentive application submitted in accordance with the terms and conditions of PON 2439.
- Incentives are only available to Eligible Installers and incentives must be passed on to customers.
- Incentives will not be provided directly to customers who purchase and install their own wind energy systems.
- For multiple turbines installed at a site, the NYSERDA incentive is based on the AEO of all turbines combined and is not based on the AEO of each individual turbine. For example: If two turbines are installed and the AEO for each turbine is 10,000 kWh, the NYSERDA incentive will be $45,000 and not $70,000.
Incentives offered under this program:
- Are not paid directly to the owner of the wind system are paid to eligible installers that have been approved to participate in this program and
- the eligible installer must pass the entire incentive on to the owner of the wind system
- Are paid in two installments. Sixty-five percent (65%) of the incentive is paid after the equipment is delivered to the installation site and all required permits, approvals, certificates, etc. from all jurisdictions having authority are secured, and the remaining thirty-five percent (35%) is paid when the wind system is grid-connected and approved by your utility. NYSERDA reserves the right to review any installation prior to final incentive payment is made.
- Will not be paid for wind systems installed by contractors or individuals that are not on NYSERDA's list of eligible installers.
Additional Benefits of Buying a Wind System Under This Program
All wind systems, less than 100kW, installed with incentives by this program will come with a full five-year parts and labor warranty; for systems 100 kW and larger, the warranty is two years.
Wind systems will include an easy-to-read digital meter allowing customers and installers to monitor system performance. All wind systems will be monitored for energy production, at least twice a year, for two years. If the wind system is not operating at specified performance goals, an installer will inspect the system components. NYSERDA will review each proposed wind system design, all incentive applications, and every customer purchase agreement.
The scope of the NYSERDA review shall be limited solely to determining whether NYSERDA's program conditions have been met and shall not include any type of safety review. NYSERDA shall work closely with each eligible installer and monitor their performance throughout the program. Eligible Installers are responsible for all paperwork required under this program.