Electricity comes from a variety of sources: natural gas, oil, coal, nuclear, hydropower, biomass, wind, solar, and solid waste. Green Power is electricity generated from renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, biomass, and hydropower.
The New York State Public Service Commission supports the development of renewable energy service programs in utility service territories across New York State. These programs are spurring the development of new sources of renewable energy and the sale of Green Power to New York consumers. As a result, most New York consumers now have the opportunity to choose Green Power for a variety of renewable energy options.
- Produces fewer environmental impacts than fossil fuel energy
- Helps to diversify the fuel supply and contributes to more stable energy price
- Reduces use of imported fossil fuels, keeping dollars spent on energy in the State’s economy
- Creates jobs and helps the economy by spurring investments in environmentally friendly facilities
- Creates healthier air quality and helps to reduce respiratory illness
Visit the New York State Public Service Commission for more information about Green Power in New York State or call 1-866-GRN-POWR.
Green Power purchases can be arranged through a number of service providers throughout the State. Though not all providers offer services in utility territories, for an updated list of Green Power service providers in your area call the PSC’s toll-free number 1-866-GRNPOWR or visit New York State Public Service Commission.