You may not be able to control the weather, or the costs of building materials, but you can make a substantial difference in your buildings’ operating costs. Building energy savings into new multifamily projects positions you as a true development leader to your clients – whether they be building owners or residents – and your community.
And when the price of heating fuel increases, so does the asset value of energy-efficient buildings.
NYSERDA's portfolio of programs and incentives make it easier to amp up the performance of your building, by providing access to programs that fund, implement and measure energy efficiency to improve building performance and your bottom line. Get started with NYSERDA’s Multifamily Performance Program for New Construction.
Incentives can be considerable – maximum payments of up to $1,200 per unit in affordable buildings.
How to get started
If your new multifamily building will contain five or more units and four or more stories, and sit within the boundaries of New York State, it is likely eligible for the Multifamily Performance Program. Gut rehab building projects may also be eligible.
- A gut rehab is defined as one of the following types of projects where a licensed professional architect or engineer has prepared and certified the building plans:
- Change of use and reconstruction of an existing building or space within;
- Construction work of a nature requiring that the building or space within be out of service for at least 30 consecutive days;
- Reconstruction of a vacant structure or space within.
Find all of the details on how to participate in the new construction program.
The first step is to find and choose a Multifamily Performance Partner. Partners are qualified firms or organizations who act as your expert, advocate and guide through every step of the process. NYSERDA provides a list of Multifamily Performance Partners for you to choose from.
Your Multifamily Performance Partner will help you design affordable energy savings into your new building, assess your eligibility for financial incentives and from NYSERDA and its affiliates, and help you with the application processes. Gut-rehab projects may be eligible for low-interest financing through Green Jobs – Green NY.
Are you also a building owner or manager?
If you also own or manage buildings, you might be interested in NYSERDA’s Multifamily Performance Program for Existing Buildings.
Case studies: follow the leaders in energy savings
Since 2007, owners of more than 4,200 multifamily buildings have taken bold steps to stop wasting energy and start saving money. Here is just a small sample of their success:
- Habitat for Humanity-NYC Atlantic Avenue multifamily project –a 25 percent improvement in energy use, an ENERGY STAR® rating, a prestigious Gold certification from LEED, and predictable, affordable tenant energy bills for this 41-unit complex in Ocean Hill-Brownsville section of Brooklyn. Download the Atlantic Avenue case study [PDF].
- 1212 Martin Luther King Building –state-of-the-art building in the Bronx’s Highbridge neighborhood achieved an ENERGY STAR® rating and affordable rates for its tenants through a comprehensive suite of energy efficiency measures, which added only $3/sq ft to the $145/sq ft cost of the building, and will return upwards of $12,000 per year in energy savings. Download the Martin Luther King Building case study [PDF].
Read more of our success stories.
Call us at 1-866-NYSERDA.