You may know about the energy-saving programs we offer for one- to four-unit homes and larger, multi-unit apartment buildings. There is also a program designed specifically for buildings that fall somewhere in between. It’s called Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Low-rise, and it’s ideal for duplexes, row houses, and other multifamily dwellings. The easiest way to get started and find out if your building qualifies is to contact Erik Gilbert at (518) 862-1090 ext. 3562 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To qualify for the program, a residential building must be:
- Three stories or less with between five and eight units (buildings with more than eight units may qualify if there are firewall separations).
- Constructed using building techniques common to one- to four-unit family homes.
- Able to be served by residential-scale heating equipment with a maximum rating of 300,000 BTUs.
Taller residential buildings meeting the construction and heating equipment criteria above are also eligible. Examples of typical residential buildings include brownstones, row housing, garden apartments, and other urban-style buildings.
Low-rise Program Guidelines [PDF].
Take advantage of discounts and financing
Improving the energy efficiency of your building is a smart investment. We make your project more affordable and your decision even easier with financing and discounts.
- Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Low-rise projects receive a 20% discount on the cost of eligible energy efficiency improvements, up to $1,200 per unit.
- Building owners with income-eligible* tenants can receive a 30% discount on the cost of eligible energy efficiency improvements, up to $1,800 per unit.
- Pay no interest on the portion of financing provided by NYSERDA (no more than 50% of the project cost).
It’s Easy to Get Started
- Complete the Low-rise Project Application [PDF] with the assistance of a participating Home Performance contractor and submit it to NYSERDA with the required documentation and data. We will then review the application to determine if your project qualifies for the program. We may contact you with follow-up questions and to schedule a site visit if necessary.
- Upon preliminary approval, a Project Approval Letter will be sent to the participating contractor you chose, who will have up to 45 days to complete project modeling to determine the projected energy savings and submit any outstanding project information.
- Following the approval of the project modeling, we will notify both you and your participating contractor that the Low-rise project may begin. Work must begin no later than 60 days after the approval of the project’s modeling and final work scope. Low-rise projects generally need to be completed within 12 months of the project approval.
*To be eligible for the Assisted Home Performance discount, twenty-five percent of the units must have a calculated household income of no more than 80 percent of the Area Median Income. Please complete a Rent Roll [XLS] spreadsheet by providing the annual rent, size, and occupancy for each unit in the project and submitting it to NYSERDA for review and approval.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Low-rise program, contact Erik Gilbert at (518) 862-1090 ext. 3562 or email@example.com.