Performance-Based incentives encourage implementation of larger-scale projects that increase energy efficiency and produce verifiable annual energy savings. These incentives are available on a pro-rated basis related to the annual kWh or MMBtu savings generated (please see the summary table below).
Performance-Based incentives must meet minimum energy saving thresholds and require an Engineering Analysis to substantiate energy savings after project completion. In some cases, post-installation Measurement and Verification (M&V) is also required.
Performance-Based Incentive Categories
- Electric Efficiency
Incentives are offered to offset capital costs of cost effective efficiency projects that reduce electric consumption at eligible facilities.
- Natural Gas Efficiency
Incentives are offered to offset capital costs of cost-effective efficiency projects that reduce natural gas consumption at eligible facilities in the National Fuel Gas territory.
Summary of Performance-Based Incentives
Start the application process
||The electric efficiency improvements cause annual kWh reductions less than or equal to 30% of current annual usage.
||The electric efficiency improvements cause annual kWh reductions greater than 30% but less than or equal to 50% of current annual usage.
||The electric efficiency improvements cause annual kWh reductions greater than 50% of current annual usage.
|National Fuel Gas Incentives
||National Fuel Gas customers only
||$15/mmBTU saved annually
After Your Consolidated Funding Application Has Been Submitted
- NYSERDA will review the application for general eligibility and completeness, and contact the applicant or designated contact if any additional information is needed. All projects require the following documentation before or within 90 days of project contracting, and prior to any demolition or removal of existing equipment or installation of new equipment for the project:
- Contractual Agreement, with all signatures
- W-9 tax form (only submit Federal Tax ID electronically; any Individual’s Social Security Number on a W9 should be mailed to NYSERDA at 17 Columbia Circle Albany NY 12203, Attn: EFP)
- Current and complete utility bill with account number
- Proposed Scope of Work Form that includes expected project timeline
- For lighting projects, a completed Existing Facilities Program Lighting Form
- Additional documentation may be required
- When the application is complete, the project will be assigned a NYSERDA Project Manager and a Technical Consultant. If the application is determined to be eligible, additional information will be required.
- The Project Manager will request that the Applicant submit an Engineering Analysis. The Engineering Analysis includes, but is not limited to, a project description, economic evaluation, energy savings calculations, and any outstanding equipment specification sheets. Some projects will require a M&V plan as part of the Engineering Analysis.
- NYSERDA, or the Technical Consultant, will review the Engineering Analysis and conduct a pre-installation site inspection. NYSERDA may request revisions to the Engineering Analysis as necessary. Upon approval of the Engineering Analysis and pre-installation site inspection, NYSERDA will notify the applicant that they can implement the project. Applicants that proceed with installation before NYSERDA approves the Engineering Analysis and conducts the pre-installation site inspection do so at the risk of not receiving an incentive.
- After the applicant implements the project, the applicant must notify NYSERDA or the Technical Consultant that the project is complete and ready for a post-installation inspection.
- NYSERDA or its consultant will conduct a post-installation inspection and collect invoices and any other remaining items
- Upon approval of all final deliverables, including any required M&V, NYSERDA will provide the incentive payment to the applicant. Those projects requiring M&V must complete M&V activities in accordance with the approved M&V plan. When the M&V is completed, NYSERDA or the Technical Consultant will review the results and release any remaining funds, adjusted based on the M&V results as applicable.
For additional details, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions.