NYSERDA Earns Award for Protecting the Environment Through Energy Efficiency
March 16, 2012
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has awarded the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) with a 2012 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award in recognition of its continued leadership in protecting the environment through energy efficiency.
NYSERDA’s accomplishments were recognized at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.
The 2012 Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a select group of organizations that have exhibited outstanding leadership year after year. Winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, employing innovative approaches and showing others what can be achieved through energy efficiency.
The award recognizes NYSERDA’s ongoing leadership across the ENERGY STAR program, including energy-efficient products, services, new homes and buildings in the commercial, industrial and public sectors.
“As we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the ENERGY STAR program, EPA is proud to recognize NYSERDA with the 2012 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award,” said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. “NYSERDA and all our ENERGY STAR award winners are helping Americans find cost-effective ways to save energy in everything we do, which is good for our climate, our health, and our future.”
Over the past 20 years, American families and businesses have saved nearly $230 billion on utility bills and prevented greenhouse gas emissions equal to those from more than 350 million vehicles with help from ENERGY STAR.
“Receiving this recognition from the EPA is a tremendous honor, as energy efficiency is the foundation of New York’s energy policy,” said Francis J. Murray Jr., President and CEO of NYSERDA. “Our ENERGY STAR partnership is paramount in our efforts here in New York State to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions while at the same time protecting the environment.”
2011 NYSERDA Highlights
New York Products Program
- Estimated market share of ENERGY STAR qualified products increased by 8 percent (original program appliances: dishwasher, clothes washer, refrigerator, room air conditioner).
- NYSERDA signed nine new manufacturing partners to its ENERGY STAR Products Program.
- Program saved New Yorkers 94,613,962 kWh in electricity and $11,313,111 in energy costs.
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR®
- Home Performance with ENERGY STAR had an assessment-to-job conversion rate of 30 percent.
- More than 6,800 Home Performance with ENERGY STAR projects were completed.
New York ENERGY STAR® Homes
- 2,097 homes were built through the New York ENERGY STAR Homes program, which represents approximately 25 percent of the residential single-family new construction market share in New York.
- 574 builders participated in the program.
- NYSERDA made available $14.5 million in builder incentives for the construction of New York ENERGY STAR Homes and affordable housing incentives for eligible homeowners.
- More than 800 students trained in energy-efficiency technologies and practices as part of NYSERDA’s energy efficiency workforce development initiatives.
For more information on NYSERDA and its programs, please visit http://nyserda.ny.gov.
NYSERDA, a public benefit corporation, offers objective information and analysis, innovative programs, technical expertise, and funding to help New Yorkers increase energy efficiency, save money, use renewable energy, and reduce their reliance on fossil fuels. NYSERDA professionals work to protect our environment and create clean-energy jobs. NYSERDA has been developing partnerships to advance innovative energy solutions in New York since 1975.
Last Updated: 11/26/2014