Statewide and Regional Awards Acknowledge Excellence in Providing Services
that Help Homeowners Reduce Energy use
February 14, 2012
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) has recognized contractors with statewide and regional awards for excellence in customer service and high-quality work through the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program, which helps homeowners reduce energy usage and cut energy costs.
Home Performance with ENERGY STAR uses a “whole-house” comprehensive assessment approach to reduce home energy usage. Homeowners work with a participating contractor trained in building science and accredited by the Building Performance Institute (BPI). The contractor measures the home’s overall energy performance, especially its insulation and air infiltration levels, and the efficiency of heating and cooling equipment, appliances and lighting. Contractors also test ovens, water heaters and other equipment to make sure dangerous combustion gases, such as carbon monoxide, are not leaking into the home. The homeowner receives a comprehensive home assessment report that includes recommendations for home improvements that will save energy. The contractor can then make the energy improvements for the homeowner.
Through funding from Green Jobs-Green New York (GJGNY), established by the New York State Legislature to encourage energy efficiency, the home energy assessments are free for most New Yorkers. NYSERDA also provides help in paying for the energy improvements through cash-back incentives and low-cost financing.
“Congratulations to these contractors for the excellent work they do in the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program,” said Francis J. Murray Jr., President and CEO of NYSERDA. “Increased energy efficiency is the best way that all New Yorkers can decrease both their energy consumption and costs while at the same time realizing positive environmental benefits. Energy efficiency work also provides good jobs and bolsters the economic development of our communities.”
Statewide Home Performance with ENERGY STAR awards were made to the following contractors last week at the Affordable Comfort Inc. (ACI) conference in Saratoga Springs, New York:
- Foam It Insulation of Binghamton was named Outstanding New Contractor for completing more than 70 Home Performance projects, more than any other new contractor, while providing a high level of customer service in the Southern Tier.
- Malcarne Contracting Inc. of Rhinebeck received the award for Outstanding Achievement in Assisted Home Performance for demonstrating a strong commitment to serving middle- to low-income households. A total of 85 percent of Malcarne’s Home Performance projects were for people in those income categories.
- Isaac Home Energy Performance of Rochester received the award for Excellence in Energy Savings for achieving the highest average energy savings during 2010 and 2011. Its projects have contributed more than 14,000 million BTUs of energy savings, with an average annual dollar savings per project of more than $1,000.
- Building Performance Contractors Association of Syracuse was named Outstanding Program Partner for excelling at developing and maintaining cross-trade partnerships and aggressively promoting a whole house/systems approach.
- Efficiency First New York, a State chapter of the national not-for-profit trade organization, was named Outstanding Program Ally for providing extensive outreach to industry networks and stakeholders in support of the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program.
- Home Energy Performance by HALCO of Phelps received the award for Outstanding Achievement and Excellence for top customer service, high quality solutions, and in-house professional employee training. It is also one of the most productive contractors in the program, completing 399 jobs in 2010-2011.
Regional winners were cited for excellence in customer service and work quality, comprehensive home energy savings, consistency in software modeling accuracy, promotion of program incentives and commitment to staff training and program improvement. Winners for 2010-2011 at the regional level were:
- Western Region: Zenner & Ritter, Buffalo
- Finger Lakes Region: Home Comfort Heating & Cooling, Rochester
- Central Region: GreenHomes America, LLC, Syracuse
- Southern Tier: Snug Planet LLC, Ithaca
- Capital Region: Zerodraft of the Capital District, Albany
- North Country Region: Aeon Heating and Air Conditioning, Potsdam
- Mid-Hudson Region: EB Design Air Inc., Hillburn
- New York City Region: BrightHome Energy Solutions LLC, Elmsford
- Long Island Region: Green Audit USA Inc., Greenlawn
For more information about the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR, please visit: nyserda.ny.gov/residential and click on Existing Home Renovations.
NYSERDA, a public benefit corporation, offers objective information and analysis, innovative programs, technical expertise, and funding to help New Yorkers increase energy efficiency, save money, use renewable energy, and reduce their reliance on fossil fuels. NYSERDA professionals work to protect our environment and create clean-energy jobs. NYSERDA has been developing partnerships to advance innovative energy solutions in New York since 1975.
ACI (Affordable Comfort Inc.)is a nonprofit organization providing cutting-edge information, education and best practices in the area of residential building construction known as Home Performance and Weatherization. Through national and regional educational and networking events, ACI provides innovative building science knowledge presented by renowned industry experts focused on advancing residential energy efficiency nationwide. It is our vision that every family has a home that is safe, healthy, durable, and energy efficient. For more information on ACI, visit www.affordablecomfort.org.
Last Updated: 05/14/2013