June 09, 2010
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) today announced that the Building Performance Institute (BPI), an organization that develops national standards and credentials for residential energy efficiency work, has more than doubled its office space at the NYSERDA-owned and operated Saratoga Technology + Energy Park (STEP) in Malta.
The company has been working with NYSERDA for 14 years to help build a workforce to improve the energy efficiency of New York’s residential building stock. A tenant at STEP since the spring of 2003, BPI will now occupy 6,360 square feet of space and employ 22 people.
Francis J. Murray Jr., president and CEO of NYSERDA said, “BPI plays an important role in developing sustainable, green-collar job opportunities and helps homeowners across America realize the benefits of greater energy efficiency. BPI is a perfect fit for STEP, which provides an environment to help clean energy and environmental technology companies to build and grow. NYSERDA is proud of our partnership with BPI, and we look forward to further success in the future.”
Sally Larmon, Director of Administration for BPI said, “BPI’s rapid national growth prompted the need to take additional space at 107 Hermes Road. in 2010. United Group’s quick response to our needs allowed us to expand our office space in a timely manner. NYSERDA was also instrumental in providing assistance in making this expansion happen.”
In the last seven months, nfrastructue Technologies, Inc., The Radiant Store, Inc., Clough Harbour & Associates, and tw telecom, have located their operations at STEP while BPI and GLOBALFOUNDRIES have expanded. In total, there are now 11 clean energy and environmental technology companies in STEP’s facilities in addition to TEC-SMART (Training and Education Center for Semiconductor Manufacturing and Alternative and Renewable Technologies), Hudson Valley Community College’s premier green technology training facility.
STEP’s knowledge-based community is a strategic location that enables companies to tap into a highly-skilled workforce and state-of-the-art facilities. It’s proximity to universities and clean energy manufacturing and research companies creates an opportunity for synergy and collaboration.
Companies at STEP include:
- Auterra, Inc., a developer of patent-pending inorganic materials, has developed an environmentally-friendly flame retardant additive for plastics and coatings for solar photovoltaic thin film applications.
- The Building Performance Institute, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting energy efficiency excellence in the building trades.
- C9 Corporation, an advanced semiconductor technology company that focuses on bringing their silicon-carbide technology to customer-specific applications and producing silicon carbide-based devices that are free of defects.
- Clough Harbour & Associates (CHA), named a top 100 US design firm by the Engineering News-Record, provides environmental, industrial, electrical, mechanical, transportation and traffic engineering as well as energy, landscape architecture, construction engineering, and technology services.
- Electrovaya, a world leader in the field of portable power solutions with its award-winning, patented Lithium Ion SuperPolymer® battery technology.
- GLOBALFOUNDRIES, the world’s first truly global leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing company.
- LINC is designed to build necessary connections among research, business, and financial communities to bring new, innovative lighting products to market, and increase research and development dollars invested in New York.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation, an advanced technology company, is engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture and integration of advanced technology systems, products and services.
- nfrastructure Technologies, Inc. helps large enterprises design, build and operate mission-critical technology infrastructure by working with leading technology hardware and software vendors to provide comprehensive data center, network, security, unified communications, end-point, structured cabling, staffing and outsourcing solutions.
- The Radiant Store, Inc. is a diversified company specializing in the areas of renewable power, thermal solar hot water systems, integrated solar hydronic, and radiant heating systems.
- tw telecom, a leading provider of integrated and converged network solutions, provides managed network services specializing in Ethernet and transport data networking, Internet access, local and long distance voice, VoIP, VPN and security, to enterprise organizations and communications services companies throughout the U.S.
Visit Saratoga Technology + Energy Park for more information about the program.
Jeffrey Gordon, NYSERDA
518-862-1090 ext. 3544
Last Updated: 05/14/2013