May 28, 2010
New Web-based GreenRide Mobility Management Solutions from Ecology & Environment Provide Innovative, Cost-Saving Approaches to Reduce Traffic and Emissions
NYSERDA Funding Encourages Commuter Savings and Efficiency Across the State
LANCASTER, May 28, 2010 – Environmental consulting company Ecology and Environment, Inc. (E & E) has launched a suite of innovative web-based tools to help reduce the number of single-occupant vehicles, alleviate traffic congestion, reduce air pollution, and save money for commuters and governments. The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) provided $762,272 to support the development and deployment of these new software tools, which will supplement the company’s substantial portfolio of GreenRide sustainable transportation programs.
The GreenRide Mobility Management Suite provides sustainable solutions for carpooling, fleet management, specialized transportation and paratransit applications, and vanpooling. It has the potential to save New York residents hundreds of millions of dollars annually through avoided vehicle trips and mileage, wear and tear, lowered fuel consumption, decreased traffic congestion, reduced need for parking, and minimized atmospheric pollutants that contribute to asthma and climate change.
“Reducing the number of vehicle miles traveled is essential to helping New York decrease its transportation energy use and its harmful impact on the environment,” said Robert G. Callender, Vice President for Operations and Services at NYSERDA. “NYSERDA’s partnership with Ecology and Environment, Inc. will provide innovative solutions to make ride-sharing a more viable alternative, and to help achieve the ambitious energy-reduction goals set by Governor David Paterson.”
Ecology and Environment, Inc. President and CEO Kevin Neumaier said, “In 1900, there were about 8,000 cars in the United States and an estimated 25,000 worldwide. In 110 years we’ve now increased the number of vehicles 40,000 times, as the global vehicle population has reached one billion, and the number may double to two billion vehicles in the next 20 years. At the same time, people are driving much more—nearly 3 trillion vehicle miles are traveled in the United States alone each year. The numbers are simply staggering when we consider the magnitude and costs of tailpipe emissions, oil consumption, road and bridge construction, parking and congestion. Cars offer us greater mobility and fuel efficiency is slowly improving, but the global volume and use of cars is unsustainable, and we need to change the direction in which we are headed. While the ultimate solution will come from a combination of efforts, E & E’s GreenRide web-based services offer an immediate way to promote sustainable vehicle use within our existing infrastructure. We are grateful for NYSERDA’s support of this important technology and look forward to working with NYSERDA to implement more and better solutions to the profound transportation challenges we face in New York and around the planet.”
GreenRide Mobility Management Solutions are web-based, integrated approaches that are designed to enable streamlined transportation management. The complete GreenRide suite includes:
- GreenRide Connect: A state-of-the-art ride-matching and commute-savings web-based tool that enables users in major markets across the state to instantly find personalized options to driving alone. GreenRide Connect matches users with carpools, vanpools, transit, bicycling and walking options, and dynamically tracks the resulting greenhouse gas, fuel, financial and calorie savings. NYSERDA co-funding of $225,486 was utilized to advance the deployment and adoption within New York State.
- GreenRide QuickFlow: A unique fast-response ride-share program offering last-minute ride matching via mobile devices, GreenRide QuickFlow features personalized user-commute route traffic and weather reporting capabilities, web- and phone-based interactive voice recognition matching, 511, and high occupancy toll lane tie-ins. It was developed with $105,848 in NYSERDA co-funding.
- GreenRide GreenFleet: An innovative tool for vehicle fleet managers of large organizations including government and commercial employers, GreenRide GreenFleet helps reduce costs by matching and tracking business trip rides. It was developed with $49,988 in NYSERDA co-funding.
- GreenRide Flex-T: A patent-pending transportation matching program that shares the availability of empty seats in transportation vans belonging to multiple agencies to deliver more rides to more people. Flex-T also streamlines the administration process with automated reporting, thus reducing the costs associated with providing paratransit and specialized transportation services. Flex-T improves customer service via enhanced vehicle pick-up reminder communications through automated phone, e-mail, and text messaging. It was developed with $231,000 in NYSERDA co-funding.
- GreenRide Vanpool – A streamlined solution for real-time matching of users to vanpools, rapid creation of vanpool routes and schedules, and efficient management of vehicles and passengers. Vanpooling and GreenRide Vanpool was promoted with $149,950 in NYSERDA funding.
For additional information on the GreenRide Mobility Management Suite of services visit GreenRide Mobility Management Solutions or contact Bob Gibson, Ecology and Environment, Inc., at 716-684-8060 or email@example.com.
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) offers technical and financial support to help make our state more energy efficient. The Authority works with consumers, businesses, municipalities, and research institutions to create clean energy solutions, increase energy efficiency, protect the environment, and save money. Visit NYSERDA.
About Ecology and Environment, Inc: (E & E):
E & E has completed more than 45,000 projects for a wide variety of clients in 84 countries, providing environmental solutions in nearly every ecosystem on the planet. The company is listed on the NASDAQ under the symbol EEI and is located on the Web at Ecology and Environment, Inc..
Colleen Ryan, NYSERDA
518-862-1090 ext. 3359
Last Updated: 05/14/2013