February 13, 2010
In First Two Days of New York's Great Appliance Swap Out, More than 17,000 New Yorkers Claimed $2.5 Million of Rebates
$14.2 Million Remaining to be Claimed, 170,000 New Yorkers Expected to Receive Rebates for Purchasing High Efficiency Appliances
The first two days of New York's Great Appliance Swap Out has been a tremendous success, providing more than 17,000 New York consumers with rebates of more than $2.5 million dollars for purchasing high efficiency appliances that will reduce their energy consumption and save them money, according to the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).
As of February 13 at 5 pm, $14.2 million remained to be claimed through February 21 in this first-come, first-served program, according to New York Appliance Swap Out, which provides a real-time counter of available funds. This tool will provide consumers with information to help ensure funds are remaining before they purchase an appliance.
"The response to New York's Great Appliance Swap Out is spectacular not just because consumers are getting great deals on appliances, but because the appliances they're buying will help reduce New York's energy usage," said Francis J. Murray, Jr., President and CEO of NYSERDA. "Our energy challenges are enormous, but we can make a big difference in New York's future if everyone takes a step to reduce the amount of energy they use. This rebate will help make it easier for everyone to make just one change that will make a difference."
Using federal funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), the program will help consumers save money on energy costs while reducing their energy usage. Rebates for high-efficiency refrigerators, clothes washers, and freezers will range from $50-$105 for a single unit and up to $555 for the purchase of a three-appliance package of high-efficiency refrigerators, clothes washers, and dishwashers.
The program requires consumers to replace old appliances, and encourages recycling by offering a larger rebate to consumers who recycle their discarded appliances. Funds are reserved for consumers who have purchased qualified appliances after they have submitted an application either online at New York Appliance Swap Out, or through the toll-free hotline, 1-877- NY-SMART (877-697-6278). However, funds are not paid until after consumers mail in documentation of proof of purchase and, if applicable, recycling.
Once people enter their information online and receive an application number, the information is captured and the rebate is reserved. A confirmation and an application will be sent either by email or through the postal service.
Guidelines for the program:
- Residents only. Consumers must be New York State residents and the appliance must be installed at a New York State residential address to be eligible for the proposed rebate program.
- Energy Efficiency Requirements. Appliances can be purchased at any retail location and must meet specified ENERGY STAR® or Consortium of Energy Efficiency (CEE) standards.
- Qualifications. The program is open only to residents of single-family homes and to residents of multi-family buildings who own the existing appliance that is being replaced.
- Process. After purchasing a qualified appliance, consumers must complete an application form to reserve their rebate. Customers will print their completed form with rebate reservation number and return it with required documentation; those who fill out forms by phone will have an application mailed to them. Before purchasing, consumers can check to see if funding is still available at New York Appliance Swap Out, or by calling 1-877- NY-SMART (877-697-6278).
- Finding an application. Applications may be completed online at New York Appliance Swap Out, or by calling toll-free at 1-877-NY-SMART. Once the application is verified as complete, it will be processed and payment will be issued.
- Documentation. Consumers must submit all required documentation with their completed rebate application by March 15, 2010. For rebates: Consumers must attest in writing that the purchased appliances are replacing existing appliances. For recycling bonus: Documentation must be obtained from the retailer or recycler. In NYC, a confirmation number obtained through 311 may be used for refrigerator and freezer recycling documentation.
- Restrictions. The rebate cannot be combined with other appliance rebate programs from utilities or municipalities. The rebate can, however, be combined with other manufacturer rebates or retail promotions.
- Recycling. Many appliance retail stores will offer to pick up and recycle your old appliance when you purchase a new one from them. In addition, a list of many local recycling centers and transfer stations that will recycle can be found at: New York Appliance Swap Out, In New York City: The Department of Sanitation will provide pickup of appliances, but can only provide recycling confirmation for refrigerators and freezers. Residents may call 311 for pickups.
How much Can You Receive:
Customers purchasing appliances may receive the following individual rebates:
- Refrigerators: $75 ($105 with documented recycling)
- Clothes washers: $75 ($100 with documented recycling)
- Freezers: $50 ($75 with documented recycling)
- Dishwashers: Rebates are only available for dishwashers when purchased as part of a three appliance package of CEE-rated appliances. This bundled purchase will qualify for a $500 rebate ($555 with documented recycling).
What Are the Energy Efficiency Requirements?
- Individual purchases: Appliances must have the ENERGY STAR® label, meaning that they are up to 30 percent more efficient than standard models on the market.
- Bundled purchases: A larger rebate will be paid to consumers purchasing three appliances that meet CEE standards. This can include a dishwasher, clothes washer, and refrigerator.
Where do you find these appliances?
Appliances may be purchased at any location. NYSERDA works with more than 1,000 of retail partners to help promote the sale of ENERGY STAR® Products.
NYSERDA also offers homeowners potential energy savings through “Home Performance with ENERGY STAR®” a program which offers home performance audits and financing for energy efficiency improvements. This program has helped more than 27,000 New Yorkers significantly cut their energy usage. Visit NYSERDA for more information about these and other energy-savings programs or call NYSERDA’s consumer hotline at: 877-NY-SMART.
Colleen Ryan, NYSERDA
518-862-1090 3359; cell: 518-265-0075
Last Updated: 05/14/2013