The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a creative, self-motivated and knowledgeable individual with experience in wholesale energy and/or emissions markets and contract management. The Energy and Environmental Markets program area is engaged in the design and execution of market based programs such as the Main Tier of the Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS), the Clean Air Interstate Rule/Cross-State Air Pollution Rule (CAIR/CSAPR) and the New York Generation Attribute Tracking System (NYGATS). This individual will assist in developing and executing multifaceted market-based trading and accounting mechanisms. These mechanisms will facilitate the development and effective operation of clean energy resources and satisfy environmental goals.
The Project Manager’s primary responsibilities will be:
- Assist in the design, implementation and enhancement of the NYGATS trading and accounting systems for generation attributes. Evaluate other renewable tracking systems for interoperability with NYGATS.
- Assist in the preparation and revision of NYGATS documents, including the NYGATS Operating Rules.
- Solicit and evaluate NYGATS stakeholder comments.
- Develop formal reports and web-based communications related to NYGATS suitable for the public, program participants and management.
- Assist in the design and execution of a process to sell NOx emission allowances allocated to NYSERDA.
- Research, track and analyze policies and market trends at the state, regional, federal, and global level on such topics as climate change, renewable energy, emissions trading schemes, and market pricing.
RPS Main Tier:
- Manage a suite of Main Tier RPS contracts having individual contract valuations that can approach $100-150 million.
- Document, analyze and record contract commodities such as renewable energy credits.
- Participate in deliberations to develop new business processes, program rules and implementation procedures.
- Management of outside contractors, internal support staff and energy market stakeholders.
Depending on the candidate’s experience and areas of professional focus, responsibilities may expand to include presenting information to program management for the purpose of influencing program growth, planning, design and execution, and supporting program reporting. Specific roles could involve engagement in energy and environmental analyses related to state energy planning processes internal to NYSERDA and with industry stakeholders such as, the New York State Department of Public Service, the New York Independent System Operator, policy makers at the Federal level, and other states, trade associations, renewable project sponsors, and also involve independent research and analysis.
Relevant links to specific program areas are below for the candidate’s reference and preparation:
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess include:
- 3 years experience working in the evolving energy and/or commodity markets or similar market area
- Demonstrated experience in one or more areas of project management such as:
- outside contractor management
- economic analysis
- contract management involving budgeting, reporting and invoicing
- Advanced skills with Microsoft office products such as Excel, PowerPoint and Word, along with strong written and verbal communication skills
Minimum educational requirements an individual must possess include:
- A Bachelors degree in finance, economics, business, engineering, or environmental science or related degree or
- An unrelated Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of relevant experience
Preference will be given to those individuals who possess:
- An advanced degree and experience in areas such as: energy pricing, energy marketing (purchases and sales), energy contracting, renewable electricity generation, renewable energy markets, and emissions trading and accounting
- Experience with RPS programs and voluntary retail electric markets
Individuals will be considered for Assistant Project Manager through Project Manager based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. When applying, please type the Position’s Title and Job Code 207 in the Subject Line.