The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a creative, self-motivated individual experienced with wholesale energy and/or emissions markets and contract development and management. This individual will assist the program area in forming and executing complex market-based trading and accounting mechanisms to facilitate the development and effective operation of clean energy resources and satisfy environmental goals. This position may involve management of individual contracts as large as $5-10 million in valuation. This position requires approximately 10% travel. The EEM program area is engaged in the design and execution of market based programs such as the Renewable Portfolio Standard, the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, the Clean Air Interstate Rule, and the New York Generation Attribute Tracking System (NYGATS).
The Project Manager’s primary responsibilities will be:
- Documentation, analysis and recordation of contract commodities such as renewable energy credits and emission allowances
- Assist in the design, implementation and enhancement of trading and accounting systems for emissions and generation attributes. Assess other renewable tracking systems for interoperability with NYGATS
- Assist in the preparation and updating of NYGATS’ documents, including the NYGATS Operating Procedures
- Assist with soliciting and evaluating stakeholder comments
- Development of formal reports and web-based communications suitable for the public, program participants and management
- Participate in deliberations to develop new business processes, program rules and implementation procedures
- Management of outside contractors, internal support staff and energy market stakeholders
- Tracking and managing contract budgets
- Researching, tracking and analyzing policies and market trends at the state, regional, federal, and global level on such topics as climate change, renewable energy, emissions trading schemes, and market pricing
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
Depending on candidate experience, responsibilities may include presenting information to program management for the purpose of influencing program growth, planning, design and execution, and supporting program reporting. Such analysis could involve engagement with industry stakeholders such as, but not limited to, the New York State Department of Public Service, the New York Independent System Operator, policy makers at the Federal level, and other states, trade associations, renewable project sponsors, and involve independent research and analysis.
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess include:
- 3 years experience working in the evolving energy and/or commodity markets or similar market area
- Demonstrated experience in one or more areas of project management such as:
- outside contractor management
- economic analysis
- contract management involving budgeting, reporting and invoicing
- Advanced skills with Microsoft office products such as Excel, PowerPoint and Word, along with strong written and verbal communication skills
Minimum educational requirements an individual must possess include:
- A Bachelors degree in finance, economics, business, engineering, or environmental science or related degree or
- An unrelated degree and 6 years of relevant experience
Preference will be given to those individuals who possess:
- An advanced degree and experience in areas such as: energy pricing, energy marketing (purchases and sales), energy contracting, renewable electricity generation, renewable energy markets, and emissions trading and accounting
- Experience with RPS programs and voluntary retail electric markets
Individuals will be considered for Assistant Project Manager through Project Manager based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please type the Position’s Title and Job Code 207 in the Subject Line.