The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) is seeking a creative, self-motivated and experienced individual to procure and manage a portfolio of R&D projects in the technology area of heating and cooling for residential, multi-family, commercial, and institutional buildings. Technologies include space heating and cooling, ventilation, and domestic hot water utilizing various forms of input energy – electricity, natural gas, oil, biomass and renewable. The Heating and Cooling Program is part of a multi-faceted NYSERDA Buildings R&D program focused on advancing the development and application of energy efficient building related technology. Towards this objective, the Buildings R&D program works through partnerships and collaborations with many small-to-large sized New York businesses, technical universities, DOE National Laboratories, industry trade groups and other organizations. While the position’s focus will be predominately on heating and cooling technologies, the project manager may be assigned to work on other building related technologies for program diversification or as needs demand. The project manger responsibilities will include managing a portfolio of R&D projects ranging from 15 to 25 projects with an aggregate value of approximately $10 million.
The Project Manager’s primary responsibilities will be to:
- Develop and promote solicitations to procure projects in the relevant technology areas
- Organize and lead a Technical Evaluation Panel (TEP) review of solicitation proposals
- Document and present TEP results to senior management
- Develop documents and support contract negotiations for awarded projects
- Manage projects in relation to stated goals, tasks, schedule, and budget
- Facilitate technology transfer from R&D to NYSERDA’s deployment programs
- Disseminate project results to accelerate market adoption
- Develop networks and interact with stakeholders, industry, government, technical universities, and other entities
- Make presentations on NYSERDA’s Heating and Cooling R&D program activities at professional meetings, conferences and workshops
- Maintain a knowledge base of current and emerging heating and cooling technologies
- Provide technical expertise to other NYSERDA programs
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess include:
- One year of relevant experience working with heating or cooling technologies
- Knowledge of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermodynamics and combustion processes
- Strong project management skills and the ability to successfully multi-task, set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, along with a demonstrated ability to develop relationships with key stakeholder groups
- Ability to be a self-starter and function well independently and in teams
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Minimum educational requirements an individual must possess include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, physics, or related disciplines or
- An unrelated Bachelor's degree and 3 years of relevant experience as described above or
- An unrelated Master’s Degree and 2 years of relevant experience as described above
Preference will be given to those candidates who possess the following:
- A Master’s degree in mechanical engineering or physics
- Experience in HVAC design/development and or Biomass Heating Technologies
- Prior R&D experience
- PE license in NYS
- CEM Certification by the Association of Energy Engineers
Individuals will be considered for Assistant Project Manager through Senior Project Manager based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package with generous paid leave is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. When applying, please type the Position’s Title and Job Code 261 in the Subject Line.