In January 2013, Governor Cuomo announced that New York would establish a $1 billion Green Bank, constituting the nation’s largest state-level green bank. The New York Green Bank (NYGB or the Bank), a division of the New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA), officially opened for business on February 5, 2014. NYGB is structured and operates like a private sector financial institution. Its mission is to fund projects that accelerate the deployment of commercially viable clean energy technologies including renewable energy, energy efficiency, distributed generation, and similar projects through a variety of financing tools targeted at alleviating financial market barriers, catalyzing private sector investment to fill market gaps, and animating capital markets.
NYGB is seeking experienced and highly motivated individuals to be part of its innovative and results-oriented investment team. The selected individuals will be responsible for supporting the full cycle of the Bank’s investment process including: conducting extensive industry research to identify high-potential investment opportunities, financial modeling and valuation analysis, conducting due diligence, and executing and monitoring transactions. Investment team members will be critical contributors to the business development and execution activities at NYGB. These positions will be located in New York City and may require approximately 20% travel.
Depending on the candidate’s qualifications and experience, the major responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Perform comprehensive financial analysis (e.g. build financial models, credit analysis, valuation and sensitivity analyses, finance solutions, etc.) that contributes to investment structuring/restructuring decisions.
- Assist in development of new products and target investment areas as well as evaluation criteria.
- Participate in the evaluation of requests for financial products from NYGB.
- Build relationships with corporate and institutional clients.
- Track business development activities (e.g. research and analyze industry trends and track the pipeline of projected projects).
- Prepare reports and presentations that assist in the investment decision making process, including credit and investment memoranda.
- Communicate regularly with internal management and external stakeholder groups.
- Work on high-performance teams to drive projects forward and deliver projects on a deadline.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Experience in project, structured or leveraged finance in commercial or investment banking, private equity, equity research, consulting, or similar environment. Previous experience in financing energy projects is a plus.
- An understanding of transaction and client management, regulatory requirements, business due diligence, transaction documentation, and portfolio management.
- Knowledge of structuring transactions across a variety of capital structures, preferably with an emphasis on credit products.
- Proven ability to manage or support the management of multiple projects, provide complicated financial and credit analysis, and develop appropriate financial solutions.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with extensive proficiency in MS Excel and other MS Office products including Power Point and Word.
- Ability to conduct extensive financial and industry due diligence to evaluate the risk/return parameters of a project, identify and conduct relevant sensitivity analyses.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate complex concepts.
- Unparalleled work ethic with the ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines with a willingness to commit substantial time and energy to the success of the NY Green Bank.
- Previous formal credit training preferred, however, not required.
- Be an adaptable, self-starter capable of working under limited supervision, as well as taking on new and unfamiliar tasks as needed while working effectively in the start-up phase of a dynamic, fluid and fast-paced organization.
- Senior Associates will have no less than 3 years and Vice Presidents no less than 5 years of demonstrated transaction experience.
Minimum educational requirements:
- Analyst, Associates: A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, finance, economics, or a related area
- Senior Associates, Vice President: A Master’s degree in business, finance, economics, or a related degree is a plus
Individuals will be considered for positions based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please type the Position’s Title and Job Code 291 in the Subject Line.