The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) is seeking a Director of Strategic Operations, who will report to the Chief Operating Officer. The Director will serve a critical role in conceptualizing, driving, and implementing improvements to operations by leading high-priority new design, redesign and performance improvement projects. The successful candidate will manage large-scale strategic and business process and systems initiatives, institute new tools and practices, and develop team members to:
- Inform and support the Authority's strategy to scale NY State’s clean energy economy
- Anticipate and respond to the needs and behaviors of customers and the market
- Build and deploy capabilities to deliver the above – internally and via partners/contractors
- Drive ongoing learning, problem-solving, people-development, and performance improvement
The individual’s primary responsibilities will include:
Process Design, Redesign, and Improvement
- Lead projects to develop and implement operational improvement strategies designed to expand impact, enable new programs, improve customer and partner interfaces, reduce cycle times, enable internal workflow, support robust reporting, manage risk, and reduce cost.
- Lead efforts with internal and external subject matter experts to collect, document, map, and analyze business process and system dependencies - and understand how those processes connect to customers’ interactions with the Authority.
- Structure, oversee, and perform documentation of business requirements.
- Collaborate with colleagues to identify recommendations for process improvements, overcome constraints, and resolve difficult operations and technological issues.
- Evaluate and follow up on initiatives to identify corrective actions; adjust accordingly to ensure achievement of desired outcomes.
System and Tool Building
- Lead the improvement and integration of automation and tools designed to support work and decision-making.
- Advance the attainment of timely, accurate, and relevant data needed for reporting and decision-making, while reducing burdens placed on staff, partners, and customers.
- Establish key operating/financial indicators and reporting needed to support decision-making and monitor performance.
- Drive production of frameworks, templates, and manuals in support of tools and systems deployed.
- Develop, implement and coordinate robust project plans in support of key initiatives – thoughtfully balancing rigor and discipline with adaptability and flexibility.
- Institute tools and lead efforts encompassing project work planning and tracking, resourcing and budgeting, optimizing resources, and ensuring quality and timeliness.
- Effectively communicate status to relevant stakeholders; collaborate and problem-solve with technologists.
- Inculcate and drive practices that identify, mitigate, and manage risk on projects.
Leadership and People Development
- Build and manage a small, hard-working, energetic, and highly-skilled team of analysts, forming an internal consultancy and project management office, in support of the above.
- Influence and inform a greater understanding among Authority units of the ownership and output needed to advance continuous improvement.
- Foster and contribute to a culture of excellence grounded in people development, learning, problem solving, and teamwork.
- Identify and execute opportunities to develop staff and colleagues to meet the Authority’s goals and their own professional goals; serve as a mentor and a role model.
- Build multi-disciplinary networks within the Authority, sister and oversight agencies, the Governor's office, and key contractors to advance the Authority's goals.
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess:
- 12+ years’ experience implementing process and operational improvement with a demonstrated record of success.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience as a business analyst.
- A demonstrated record of success in driving improvements in service operations and successfully delivering services within complex business or government operating environments.
- Skill in managing multiple diverse activities simultaneously, delivering on commitments, and operating with speed, accuracy, and strong judgment.
- The ability to assess programmatic needs with alacrity and precision in order to develop work plans and resource requirements.
- A strong customer orientation.
- A command of business analyses, documenting requirements and specifications, and mapping processes to inform the development and integration of new processes and technology.
- A command of project management methods, processes, standards, and tools.
- A clear understanding of how to effectively leverage commercial software solutions and technology - and a demonstrated ability to successfully partner with programmatic, administrative, and technology staff (and vendors) to implement systems.
- A willingness to work diligently to master knowledge required to perform work effectively and gain credibility of colleagues (e.g. clean energy domain, State government, systems, etc.).
- An ability to drive to big picture goals and solve strategic problems while valuing and maintaining a strong attention to detail.
- Great resourcefulness and an instinct for surfacing value and pragmatic solutions.
- An ability to quickly identify and drive to the optimal solution when presented with a series of opportunities and/or constraints.
- A track record as an exceptional manager, coach, mentor, and developer of talent.
- A passion for operational transformation, a relentless work ethic, and resolute integrity.
- Top-notch presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds; the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely, and unambiguously in speech and in writing.
- The ability to effectively use Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, Project, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Minimum educational requirements an individual must possess include:
- A Bachelor’s degree
- An advanced degree is preferred
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience working in an internal corporate consultancy, management consultancy, or the equivalent.
- Experience as a project manager and / or in managing a project management office.
- Experience in or working knowledge of the clean energy or energy efficiency domains.
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. and include Director of Strategic Operations in the subject line.