NYSERDA is seeking a Chief Information Officer (CIO) to plan, coordinate, and execute the Authority's information technology systems, standards, security and support. The CIO will manage the Authority's Information Technology Unit and serve as the key leader responsible for implementing and maintaining technology that will enable NYSERDA to advance its ability to respond to the needs of customers, optimize operational effectiveness, and drive ongoing performance improvements.
As NYSERDA is in the early stages of an operations and technology transformation, the CIO will play a critical role in ensuring that NYSERDA's technical architecture, infrastructure, and staffing provides the support needed to meet an ambitious and evolving programmatic agenda. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated through prior experiences extraordinary partnership with business and programmatic units - grounded in the principle that effective information technology strategy is that which enables business strategy to transpire with the greatest operational flexibility at the lowest ongoing cost.
The individual’s primary responsibilities will include:
Information Technology Strategy and Execution
- Serve as lead technical adviser, working in partnership with the Chief Operating Officer, to ensure that NYSERDA's systems design, architecture, and implementation approach enable its operational goals through modern and cost-effective systems, tools, and supports.
- Manage the introduction, application, and integration of technologies to enhance NYSERDA capabilities that expand impact, improve customer and partner interfaces, reduce cycle times, enable internal workflow, support robust reporting, manage risk, and reduce cost.
- In partnership with NYSERDA's program teams and the Chief Operating Officer, manage the transformation and upgrade of a federation of primarily home-built systems to more flexible and easily-upgradable commercial off the shelf solutions; where sensible, manage decommissioning of home-built systems with minimal disruption to ongoing operations.
- Drive the development of enterprise technology standards, technology architecture, infrastructure planning, and deployment.
- Introduce, ensure, and maintain accountability for processes for rigorously identifying, evaluating, managing, and mitigating risk.
- Lead analysis of technical alternatives, ensuring options weigh operational fit and flexibility, implementation costs, and ongoing cost of operations.
- Negotiate contracts and manage relationships with vendors to ensure NYSERDA's interests are promoted and protected in support of the above.
- Manage technical resources dedicated to projects – ensuring execution ensues with the rigor, discipline, and adaptability needed for success.
Operations and Support
- Oversee and ensure outstanding customer service to NYSERDA's staff - effectively delivering computer operations and production support, system and database administration, network operations, and desktop support.
- Identify and implement best practices for optimizing infrastructure and operations costs, improving system performance, and ensuring service-level requirements are met.
- Work in partnership with the Information Security Officer to develop, maintain, and upgrade NYSERDA's information security systems; develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures to protect the Authority's information assets.
- Seek and implement practices to effectively communicate critical and helpful information with user groups throughout NYSERDA.
- Regularly review cost structures and budgets to ensure effective expenditure vis-a-vis NYSERDA's ongoing needs.
- Lead the Information Technology Unit at NYSERDA with responsibility for hiring, developing, and building a high-performance team.
- Serve as a technology thought leader within NYSERDA; stay current with developments in new technologies and platforms.
- Foster and contribute to a culture of excellence grounded in people development, learning, problem solving, and teamwork.
- Influence and inform a greater understanding among NYSERDA units of the ownership and output needed to advance continuous improvement and enhancement of systems.
- Identify and execute opportunities to develop staff and colleagues to meet the Authority’s goals and their own professional goals; serve as a mentor and a role model.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Required minimum qualifications an individual must possess:
- 12+ years experience with a demonstrated record of success in technology infrastructure planning and operations, design and deployment, and system life cycle management.
- A demonstrated record of success in driving improvements across multiple functions and lines of business within complex business or government operating environments.
- A track record of delivering projects on time, within budget, and with great end-user satisfaction.
- Successful experience in leveraging commercial software solutions and technology.
- A strong customer orientation that frames and guides recommendations, output, and priorities.
- A demonstrated ability to successfully partner with programmatic and operational staff to implement systems that enable an organization's operations.
- The ability to size and estimate technology needs with alacrity and accuracy in order to develop work plans and resource requirements.
- Great resourcefulness and an instinct for surfacing value and low-cost pragmatic solutions.
- An ability to quickly identify and drive to the optimal solution when presented with a series of opportunities and / or constraints.
- A command of project management methods, processes, standards, and tools.
- A track record as an exceptional manager, team-builder, mentor, and developer of talent.
- A passion for operational transformation, a relentless work ethic, and resolute integrity.
- Presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with non-technologists and technologists alike; the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely, and unambiguously in speech and in writing.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies - and the implications for business applications.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Minimum educational requirements an individual must possess include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Business Administration or a related field
- An advanced degree is preferred
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include Chief Information Officer in the subject line.